Thread: Renegade-D-to-C
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Master Modeler

I'd forgotten I had this thread to track progress on my Renegade-D Retro-Conversion and upgrade.

I finished the model more or less as shown on the cover. I hit it with matte spray for a stealth-look.

I finally flew it yesterday, at the Fillibe's Folly launch in Sheridan, OR. D12-0 to B6-6. I used the mid-power rack so there would be more distance between model and crowd, and called it a "heads up" flight. My concern was that the ejecting booster pod cones or shock cords would catch on the sustainer fins. In any case, there was that heavy, heavy booster.

No need to worry! It had a really straight boost, and both of the streamers deployed! The booster landed safely not far from the launch racks. I had a bit of a walk to retrieve the booster; I could have gotten a good flight from a A8-5 I suspect.

So . . . if you have a Renegade-D, this is a proven mod.

The only failure yesterday; the shock cord on my old (14 years or so) Aero-Tech Mk. II, as seen in the Centuri 1964 catalog failed. The main body tube core sampled. Not sure if I want to bother rebuilding it. So many other projects to build!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Renagade_Top_2_lo.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  226.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade_Side_1_lo.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  173.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Renegade_booster_deployed_2_lo.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  305.4 KB  
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM