View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'd be much more impressed if they would bring back some useful BP engines like the B14 ... and the ... B8 ...

That's an either-or in my mind. Both motors address the same niche - type II, cored motors with fast burn, high thrust profiles. The B8 was essentially an attempt to eliminate the problematic post-pressing coring step of the B14, but was still a cored motor in that it had a deep nozzle with extra BP exposed.

I agree that automation should be able to overcome or circumvent the manufacturing safety issues, but I suspect the motors would still be less reliable than the standard stuff such as the B6 and C6. And that will be as big a concern for Estes as anything else. They don't want to see lots of $$ go out the door in warranty payouts.

If I was making motors, for such higher risk items, I might sell them "as is". Caveat emptor. I imagine that anyone who decided to get into these more exotic motors, be they B14's or F100's, would need to approach it with this in mind. The sales pitch would need to address this so folks who had catos wouldn't come beating down the door.

Doug

YORF member #11