View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Back in the day, Centuri sold wadding made of crepe paper. I've since discovered that pretty much all ordinary party crepe paper is flame retardant, just as the Estes toilet paper wadding is. So I have to ask... is there any reason I can't just cut off square pieces of crepe paper from one of those $0.48 rolls that Wal-Mart sells, and use that instead of the overpriced Estes wadding?

BTW... I am aware of "dog barf" wadding. I'm just curious if there is any reason we don't use crepe paper anymore.

Why cut when you can buy it in squares? Crepe paper squares are available in many craft stores. That's what Quest sells as wadding now. It's the stuff that people stuff into chicken wire to build parade floats. Pick your favorite wadding color and run with it.

Personally, I like the Estes stuff best for small rockets for its soft form fitting properties mentioned in previous posts. I don't like the way they pack individual squares in the Wally World motor packs. I like it still connected like toilet paper rolls. I used dog barf stuff back when I was still doing HPR stuff, but I don't like it at all on little rockets.