View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
The_Ripper

Default SLS Magnum-D Hornet

SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Upscale based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983. I based this upscale on BTH-70 tubing also used in the Semroc SLS ARCAS kit. I had purchased an extra nose cone, centering rings and a couple of cut lengths of BTH-70 after I purchased the SLS ARCAS kit so I actually have most of the parts on hand.

Length: 32.9"
Diameter: 2.25" (BTH-70)
Fin Span: 9.89"
Weight: 7.44 oz

One RockSim file has the standard 29mm mount and the other file has the 24mm EM-9115 adapter installed. It's light enough to fly off a standard 36" launch rod with either a D12 or E9 black powder engine and simmed well on many E through G reloads. It shares basswood fins with other SLS type kits and fins mount through the wall to the engine mount. TTW fin tabs can be shortened some but I was looking at the worse case scenario with weight and EM-9115 installed for stability.

The decal in RockSim did not render well {and of course I could not force RockSim to make three of the fins yellow} but you get the basic idea from the 3D image. I would most likely have either Excelsior make an upscale water-slide or use Dave again with Graphix & Stuff for a self adhesive vinyl version.

My plans are to build it so it's in the queue .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Magnum D Hornet.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  252.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Magnum D Hornet EM-9115.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  255.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Magnum D Hornet 3D Image Export.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  20.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt SLS Magnum D Hornet.rkt (89.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: rkt SLS Magnum D Hornet EM-9115.rkt (77.8 KB, 14 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates