View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Rocket Powered Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I love those old E.I.R.P. plans from the early '60's! This was the kind of stuff that was in the literature that I received from Estes Industries when I got into rocketry in '67. You get the feeling that these were the kinds of designs that they were flying right at the dawn of the hobby, when Vern Estes and Harry Stine and a small group of other fliers were still figuring things out. Nothing too terribly big or complicated, these early plans have a quaint kind of home-brewed quality about them. It is as if they were made when the total number of model rocketeers was still just in the dozens, not even in the hundreds yet, and everyone was trying everything that they could think of (within reason) to see if any of it would actually work. It must have been a very heady, very exciting time. Looking at these old plans gives me a sense of that, and I want to build and launch many of them in order to get the actual feeling of it, too.

You will show us pictures of your build, won't you, John?

Mark \\.

I share your feelings about the allure of these early designs. I like old things. I still use a straight razor and an one of the few Methodists around who likes the Tridentine Mass (Latin).

The parts came in from Semroc and its rather forward in my priority list. This time of year though is really busy for me. Its made worse in that we are scheduled to move into our new church on 21 Dec.

I'll be happy to post pics of the build. This is one of my regular site but I usually post my builds on TRF maily because that seems to be the place to do that sort of thing. For this one, though, YORF is probably a better choice...or am I wrong in my perception?
TRA 03040, L1 8 March 2008
Photos of the "Fleet": http://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/

I used to tell Mom, "...I want to fly rockets when I grow up!"

She said, "Make up your mind, you can't do both!"