View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I like the Estes E16 and F15 29mm BP motors, but an E35 or F40 in the same SU BP format would be far more useful.
No doubt, in booster applications, the higher thrust is very significant to avoid weather-vaning (and cruise missiles). But we also know that the higher pressure of the deep core will have the guys in the quality and reliability departments throwing their trump cards at the motor engineers There will surely be a shift in failure rate and hence more liability, with possible safety issues as well. (Alternatively, fixing all that would push the costs out of range.)

Anyway, using these motors, the challenge is to either build very light, or build a cluster to get the rocket in the air with authority. A lightly built rocket on an F15 might need to have intentional drag added to keep in recoverable. And a cluster has the challenge of getting them all lit, but that's manageable - I've had success with several rockets that use a larger central motor with multiple smaller outboards. And that's pretty much how I have envisioned using the 29mm Estes E and F booster motors.

Doug

YORF member #11