View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Generic camo is super easy and no taping is needed. With the wide spread availability of flat greens and browns in sporting goods stores, you can make it look good easily.
The classic German camo takes a little work to look right. You can't go wrong with the US Army's black and white (or yellow) roll pattern. It looks good but takes some effort also.

My uncle was a company clerk for a P-47 squadron in Europe in 44-45. He said a couple of captured V-2's made a stop at his base for a day or two on their way to being shipped to the US. He remembered them being solid green. I don't know how many operational V-2's were painted that way vs camo. If the majority were, that would be the easiest and most accurate paint scheme. I imagine they used the same shade of green as their panzers and planes.

Of course, Bunny's didn't need painting.

I have read in Peter Alway’s V-2 Modeler’s Painting Guide that in 1945 the Germans went to solid green vs. complex painting. Another easy option is the Wehrmacht Field Test colors. I left the thin black lines off mine initially, just going with olive drab and white. Here is the pattern I used a few years ago. With a little digging I found a few pictures to help guess at the paint scheme on the back side. I met up with Peter Alway at NSL in Geneseo to get his newest V-2 book. Highly recommended. While in line to launch, he spotted my V-2 and told me it needed the back of one of white fins to be black. I wasn’t upset, he liked it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  72E0E1C6-D8F7-4121-8DE5-4D066DCC8AA6.gif
Views: 55
Size:  18.5 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp