View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
I don't know about AC Supply, but for the rockets, is BMS still offering their school rocket for $5.75 each? I would go with them is they are still available and try Hobby Lobby or even Hobbylinc for the engines.

The Estes Generic E2X is cheaper in bulk ($5.45) than Bill's School rocket kit.

I actually corresponded with Bill several years ago about producing their School rocket kit with a 13mm mount and streamer recovery. It would cost him about the same to produce and it would become an economic advantage over BT-50 size kits for schools on a budget.

It would be the perfect school rocket. The A3-4T is about 25% cheaper and the performance would be perfect for the little BT-50 kit. The fin shape helps prevent landing damage with the faster descent of streamer recovery. I was all set to build a bunch of dedicated fin jigs for the kids if he produced it, but it never came to be. As it is, the E2X is a little taller (therefore cooler to kids) and the white body tubes, plastic fins, and NC don't need paint, which drives up the final cost of the traditional BMS kit even more.