View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I’ve had pretty good luck surface mounting basswood fins, but here is an idea for use on the 24mm powered booster on the Farside-X. These pictures are from a post by Gary Rosenfield, showing a neat method he used to enhanced the surface mounting of fins for a minimum diameter rocket.

As I recall, a piece of masking tape was applied inside the tube to prevent leakages of epoxy, then removed once it started to set up.

Lee,

The first time I ever saw that fin attachment method was at NARAM-19, Kansas City, 1977 . . . Gary Rosenfield was the builder and it was a minimum-diameter rocket, flown on an "undisclosed motor" during the Manufacturer's Demo.

Whatever the motor was, the orange-ish flame was longer than the rocket, with highly-visible mach diamonds, and the rocket "disappeared in an instant" off the pad at ignition . . . G. Harry Stine was "having a conniption fit", as RSO . . . LOL !

Jerry Irvine calls that method the "Interlap Attach" in his "Advanced Information Report # 10" / " Advanced Construction Methods" ( AIR-10 ). ( Image below ).

Dave F.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FIN ATTACHMENT METHODS.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  264.7 KB