View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 11:34 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
You old guys had all the fun

Seriously, growing up with all the late 60's hardware being sold, I anticipated that, by the time I turned 16 (in 1977) that I would get to enjoy some of that stuff. Instead, I got plain-jane, low-compression, unleaded, knocking-n-pinging crap

I looked in one book for 1973 which listed Ford having 4 different 351 Clevelands, and two 351 Windsor versions, and I don't think any one of them made over 140 horsepower

It was the mid-80's before we started seeing some truly good stuff again from Detroit.

Doug

Yeah, I've got a Mustang spec and serial number book somewhere in my old hot rodding books (which I think my brother has now) that lists the stock engines and horsepower/torque ratings for them by year...

The Mustangs didn't really go to sh!t until 72 or 73... the 70 and 71's were still "muscle cars" with high-performance engines. By 72, though, with the effects of the oil crisis, the embargo's, and the friggin' rag-heads and COMMIE-FORNIA screwing EVERYBODY over via the EPA, the engines had been "de-tuned" and choked down with emissions crap that they were a joke... that's why the 72 and 73's were "turds" performance-wise... I'm going by memory, but basically the horsepower was cut in half (at LEAST, in some cases MORE than cut in half) with all the pollution crap and detuning they did on those engines trying to reduce emissions... and things like dropping the compression ratios from 10.5-11:1 down to about 7.5:1 really sapped the power too, and of course the gas mileage as well...

Dad told me about his friend's 66 Galaxy 500 with a 289 Four barrel in it... thing was just awesome stock, FAST, and STILL got about 24-25 mpg... STOCK... Course that engine had 11.5:1 heads on it STOCK IIRC from the books... BUT, the higher the compression ratio, the higher the combustion temps, which equals more NOX, so they cut the compression ratios to reduce NOX emissions... it was only after they started putting EGR's on it and bleeding burned exhaust gases back into the intake that they started ramping up the compression ratios (and thus the performance and economy) again... Why diesels WERE so much more efficient than gassers-- higher compression ratios for compression ignition of injected diesel fuel... that is, until they started putting all that pollution crap on the new diesels and have now ruined them too...

Later! OL J R