View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Craftsman

ABS is very similar to polystyrene since ABS is mostly that polymer (about 50 to 60%), its fairly strong and not that brittle. Another, more common filament, for 3D printing PLA (also the cheapest at $10/kg) is much more brittle and more sensitive to warping at higher temperatures, and difficult to sand.

ABS sands easily and can be bonded with most plastic cements. I typically treat my ABS 3D prints with acetone which relieves stress in the plastic and strengthens it. Almost all the ABS items I have 3D printed passed a 4ft drop test to a cement floor, the same cannot be said of 3D prints made with PLA filament.

While I am fairly good at printing with ABS, there are other polymers available, that are even stronger, at even higher price points. Kevin Cespedes at Aerobotix ; https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cespedesign-multimedia , uses a white nylon polymer and charges accordingly.

There are many other polymers available such as simulated wood, glow in the dark, and PET which I have yet to try. There are also highly flexible polymers available; even custom 3D printed running shoes can be made, just search the internet.

I purchased two Ender 2 printer kits for $175 about 1 year ago and they both have more then paid for themselves with all the high quality parts that I made.
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055