View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 PM
BAR

Default Dr. Zooch Mark II build...

HI! Here's a build thread of the Dr. Zooch Mark II. If you're not familiar with Dr. Zooch's products, be sure to check them out at http://www.drzooch.com/ as he has a TON of cool LPR semi-scale (ant scale) rockets. These are builder's kits, so if you're a BAR this will REALLY take you back-- no cheap plastic RTF stuff here... it's up to you to make it as good as you can, and if you're a noob, you'll learn some skills along the way while having fun. This kit is 'loosely' based on the Gemini/Titan II, and it's a pretty neat little fun representation of it when it's done!

Let's get started. First, the kit comes in the usual Dr. Zooch 4x4x12-ish inch box, which is terrific for storing the finished model as well. After checking all the parts and reading the instructions, I dove right in. This is a pretty simple kit but pretty interesting and a few challenges come along the way, depending on your skillset and level of craftsmanship you desire. The kit consists of a BT-50 body tube, a balsa nosecone and noseblock, and a balsa 'seal disk', cardstock paper pre-printed wraps, including nosecone wraps, BT-20 engine mount and associated parts, motor hook, trash bag chute, fin material, and associated hardware. I was surprised to find some kevlar for the shock cord in with the kit. It was a bit frayed and the ends unravelled a bit, but for a light small rocket like this it should be fine, especially after minor re-winding.

The first step is the capsule. The balsa nosecone needs a small 'step' filed/sanded into it, where the conical part of the Gemini capsule meets up with the cylindrical thruster section above. The capsule is turned with a "rounded" edge here that you sharpen into a distinct line by sanding. It's not too difficult with a little 60 or 80 grit sandpaper, the recommended nail file (which I didn't have) or a small file. Once you've got that, carefully, and I DO mean carefully, cut the capsule wrap out of the sheet and glue it together. You'll learn how to get a steady hand and use your hobby knife carefully here, if you want a good job. Glue it up with white glue, which is recommended throughout for the wraps, and let her dry. I'd recommend cutting pretty much dead on the lines, or JUST outside of them, as the Zooch wraps are an EXCELLENT fit. ( I cut the first couple wraps 1/32 or so outside the lines, and had to go back and retrim them, the fit was that good) Main thing is, take your time, and test fit first just to make sure. Once it's glued up and dry, I test fit again and did a little minor shaving of the edges before gluing it to the balsa nosecone. It fit perfect. Repeat for the thruster cylinder band and the upper instrument compartment and nosecap. The little black 'dot' nosecap is the hardest wrap in the whole kit to cut...

The instructions advise that you can fill the upper instrument compartment cone with white glue to 'solidify' it. One word of warning-- wait until it's securely glued and glue dried to the upper end of the nosecone before filling it with white glue. Who knew a paper cone could float in white glue?? Luckily I caught it before the glue ran, and I cleaned up the mess, drained the glue and let the cone dry before refilling it. I did deviate from the instructions one tiny bit, in that I installed two small paper 'tabs' in the top of the instrument compartment cone before gluing it on. I've used this trick before making paper rocket nozzles, to connect the two halves, and it works great-- far easier than trying to make a butt glue joint between two peices of paper! You can see the small 1/8 x 1/4 tabs in the capsule pics.

Here are the pics and we'll continue in a moment... Enjoy! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2nosecone.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  460.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2capsuleuppermotor.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  283.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2capsule2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  352.1 KB