View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
ELMER'S ???????
C'mon Noww....
You MUST be joking....even if not, that's a BAD JOKE.

It will hold more than the paper or balsa it's bonding. It's only true downfall is that it will allow fins to get out of whack if they are laying down on the fins in a hot car or out in the sun. On a similar note, that downfall will actually let you align fins that you didn't get right the first time by heating them with a hair dryer, heat gun, or laying out in the sun and gently leaning the fins into position.

That said, I normally use Elmers carpenter glue on paper and balsa rockets these days because it sets quicker. I put it in a small Elmer's school glue bottle for more pinpoint application. I don't care for the large slotted bottles for delicate work. I get good fillets out of just about any glue I work with. About the only time I use epoxy on small rockets is with motor mounts that I think might stick before I get them placed.

Since white and yellow glues shrink, I learned to go a little lighter on motor mounts to minimize the indented rings on the BT. The mounts are still strong without huge fillets. If there's still an indented ring, it won't be bad and will easily be taken care of when I prime and sand. If I get stupid and dump in too much glue on the mount, a little bondo spot putty will make those indented rings disappear with minimal sanding effort.