View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

The other day I dug thru a box of old Krylon Interior-Exterior paints. These are the ones from the early 2000s. They smell awful, so they must be lacquer type paints. I never really looked at their formulation. They were also the paints you did not want to spray over other paints! But the quality was the best and subsequent Krylon could not compare. (Krylon introduced Indoor-Outdoor as a replacement, but I never liked it as much as the old version )Anyway, the can I used was from around 2005. It is ultra flat black, so it's been used in small amounts. After 11+ years, it still sprays beautifully. I always drop the nozzle in lacquer thinner to clean it. I do this for all spray paints. I leave soaking for a few minutes, then use a piece of brass tubing to place over the nozzle's tube, and blow it out.

At one point you could still find the old Interior-Exterior by the case. Lately I've gone to lacquers like Rustoleums, but colors are limited to red, black, and white, and clear. For clear I use Krylon UV-Resistant Acrylic clears. I've found Testors and Model Masters lacquers are compatible, from the testing I've done.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp