View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 04:39 PM
The Alpha Kid

Default Twist Lock Nosecone

Most of my builds use tubes that average around 2" in diameter. Due to length they often have a payload section or use center break recovery deployment. I was looking for a way to retain the nosecone that didn't involve friction fit or tape. I came up with a simple system that holds the cone securely but still allows access to the tube.

I make a wood disc by tracing a centering ring, then cut the ends off along the grain. I put these ends into the tube at the depth of the cone shoulder with a drop of glue to tack them in place. Once dry, I glue their edges securely to the tube interior. The center of the disc is attached to the cone with a shim of wood the same thickness underneath plus a shim or two of cereal box flap to drop it just below the tabs.

Chamfer the edges slightly to allow the center to glide under the tabs with slight resistance.
Insert the cone and twist 90 degrees for a secure fit. I had trouble with the center half breaking the glue joint depending on how tightly it fits, so I added a wood screw on the cone side (two on larger models).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  cone_top.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  121.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  side_view_cone.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  110.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  cone_inside.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  95.0 KB