View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 07:37 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenP
Did you clear coat it yet?

Not yet. Gotta wait for spring (high temp of 20 today, 1 on Friday). I've also clear coated them prior to cutting out parts. That works as well as clear coat after the build.

Quote:
Would do well as a 72% size for 13mm power probably.

You can definitely scale them up or down. Down's a little tougher because a lot of these paper models are in 1/144th scale. They're small to start with. I've done both this V2 and a Mercury Redstone at 3X, the Redstone flew beautifully in light winds with an E9 (catoed the original model at NARAM-51, but never any issues with its replacement).

Quote:
For your model rocket parts: 18mm engine mount tube, thrust ring, & centering rings did you make your own from cardstock as well?

Regular BT-20 stuffer tube with foam board centering rings. The nose cone shoulder is cut out of 110 lb. cardstock, again with a couple of foamboard circles to shape it. There's a hunk of 1/4" balsa about 1" square glued to the foamboard to give the screw eye something to hold onto. I don't trust the foamboard for the stress at ejection, given the considerable noseweight I used.

These paper models are a lot of fun. It took me some time to figure out the best techniques for them, but once you've built 2 or 3 of them, they're a snap.

If you're interested in a PDF copy of a presentation I did several years ago at NIRCON, PM me your email address.
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org