View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 08:41 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Delta launch looks good!

Lemme tellya what happened to our club last time.

We begged a local county for a nice field. After about nine months of discussions, they gave us a TINY little field. So we created some contest events specifically for tiny fields:
  1. 1/2 A Streamer Duration
  2. 1/2A Helicopter Duration
  3. 1/2A Altimeter Altitude
  4. B Lifting Body Glider Duration
We had a GREAT time. Members of the section even contacted Parks and Rec to thank them for allowing us the use of the field. We didn't ask for a larger field, or complain that the field was small. We all just said it was a great field, we had a great time, and we would love to have the opportunity to use it again. We even cleaned up after ourselves after the event. Who else does that?

After several more months of communications, the County Parks and Rec stopped returning our communications. Finally they told us the field was no longer available.

We tried to use a school field - the football practice field. Since the kids don't practice on Saturdays, we figured we would try to use it for a launch. We were given some forms to fill out, which we did. We sent them in, and heard nothing. E-mails were ignored, and when I called in, the person in charge of that field was never around. Finally, a week AFTER the date we requested, I received an E-mail notifying me that the field would not be available on my requested date.

I'm sure if we paid them enough, the field would be available whenever we wanted it.