View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
BAR

Continuing, we now come to the famous "Dr. Zooch Trash Bag Parachute" with it's "Poly-Coated Popeilium Shroud Lines". I won't go through the details of that, just follow the instructions, and I recommend surgeon's knots on the shroud ends. I also rub a little white glue into the lines where they wrap around the snap swivel to make sure they don't slip and 'tilt' the chute.

Now, when I made the 'upperstage rocket motor' on the upper 'seal disk' I didn't account for it sticking down so far and moving the bulkhead up too far into the cargo compartment. After doing some trial fits, I decided that the nozzle didn't have to stick down 1/4 inch, so I carefully cut it down to 1/8 inch away from the seal disk by carefully cutting around it with the hobby knife. That allows the seal disk to ride lower in the tube, freeing up space in the cargo compartment. Once you're set with where to put the nozzle and seal disk, go ahead and smear some white glue around in the tube above the 'blowout panels' and install the seal disk. Insert the bulkhead and tank dome so they're visible inside the blowout panels, and make sure the upperstage 'rocket nozzle' (if you made one-- if doing the kit per the instructions just glue the seal disk above the blowout panels and put the tank dome where you want it. If you DID put in an upperstage rocket motor nozzle, be sure and leave a gap between the tank dome and nozzle so you can see daylight through the blowout panels between the nozzle and tank dome. It won't look right if the nozzle is right up against the tank dome.
Once the nozzle/seal disk is set, remove the tank dome bulkhead and apply a bead of white glue inside the upperstage tube end below the blowout panels, and reinstall the tank dome/bulkhead. Double check the spacing again to make sure everything is to your liking, and set aside to dry.

Install the shock cord mount (it's a regular 'trifold' style using kevlar). The launch lug is cut in half and one half glued to the top of the 'first stage' below the bulkhead seperation line, and the other is nestled in a fin fillet, aligned with the wrap seam. That way, the lugs, seams, etc. are all on the 'back' of the model. I usually cut the lugs at a 45 degree angle to make them a little less 'draggy' and make it look a little cooler.

So, that's it. Hoping to fly it maybe tomorrow. Here's the money shots. Enjoy! This is a fun kit to build and I'm really looking forward to the "Dr. Zooch Mark II Stage Zero" that is planned as an add on booster stage for this kit, to be released soon. Have fun! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2interstage.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  275.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2pad.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  320.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2pad2.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  360.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2padbase.jpg