View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Dholvrsn writes:
Some requests without any expectations:

Revive the A3-2T (because little boost gliders are fun!) and A3-6T and a Centuri style Super C5-3.
I will see if these are feasible and get back.

More Centuri revivals, especially the Super Kits and the Orion.
Ok, we will look.

An 18mm "D-lite" engine, even if it's 12-13 NS like the old Cox.
Don’t think we can do this one safely.

More boost gliders and rocket gliders, especially in the yummy tailless flavors!
Whenever we do a boost glider they fail in the market-I love boost glider and have been a fan of all of them as I have been saddened when they fail in sales and profit dollars.

Lurker01 writes:

I realize just one question per member, but if the question isn't accepted/answered, I want to have a couple backup questions ready that might get answered:

For how long will it be 'OK' to make Estes copy-write material 'free' over the internet with such sites as products as JimZ Plan site, Semroc, or other clone providers?
We have never bothered anyone about this have we—if we did I didn’t know about it—lots of people use our literature and we leave then be I think.

Does Estes plan to restart its North Coast HPR or similar production line?
No.

If Estes is sold this summer as rumored, will you (Barry) stay on in some capacity or as a 'minor' partner?
No - I will be gone far away-my wife and I have several apartments in Europe and here and we will be at one or the other.

AKPilot writes:

1) For years now, rocketry hobbyists have desired Estes' recognition of them as a valued customers. How does Estes, under your leadership, hope to bridge the gap between Estes as a toy company and a hobby related industry?
We already do that—I think we are the only company that lives in both worlds—and neither is fully happy with what we do—for every negative comments I hear about what you guys say—my people read this I guess—I get more from the toy guys who want me to be more toy oriented—you can’t imagine what some of the toy buyers want me to do with the line.

2) Previously, you directly stated that Estes did not recognize the 50th of anniversary of model rocketry (during 2009) because your staff could not come to a consensus and make a decision on how to celebrate it or what kits to release. How will Estes acknowledge that anniversary now?
I wanted very much to acknowledge it, but the fights were overwhelming about which way to go and we just couldn’t get any solution—it was sick-I wish I had simply made a decision—now—the cow is kind of gone and we missed the chance to do the right thing.

3) Within the past year you stated that Estes has not attended any NAR event due to fear of physical safety for your employees, having received threats of physical harm. If Estes remains under your leadership, will Estes make an effort to proactively support NAR through active attendance at NAR events?
We are the basis for the entire hobby because we bring in new people every year—what we have done over the years has gone unappreciated—we give more support then what is known.

4) Previously you Mr. Tunick have stated that Vern and Gleda Estes do not exist in your world? Why is there such bitterness between yourself towards the Estes' and why does the company you own still carry their name?
The name is the name—Vern can well answer why the animus—I won’t get into it.

Hcmbanjo writes:

So many great questions have already been posted.

Could the ejection charges be a little less strong, or at least more consistant? I've had a few models ruined by the "shotgun" charges.
Jesus that’s a new one—I have to check into that one—sorry about your rockets.

Here's another vote for return of the A3-6t and B8-5 engines.
OK.

BRS Hobbies writes:

Barry,

Anything you can do to prevent the deep discount internet dealers (mainly Estes distributors) from selling direct to the customer at such a low price?
We don’t sell to them-we don’t like discounting- we don’t know how they get the product-we support the dealer in every way we can.

It would be nice to have a level playing field to sell Estes products. I was thinking some kind of MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policy would be great. It is a shame for dealers that truly know the ins and outs of model rocketry to loose out on sales due to some Estes distributors that are selling direct to the customer at 25% or more off the retail price on the entire Estes product line (not just sale items). You may lose some of your volume in the short term if you do implement a MAP policy, but in the long run you will have a stronger dealer network. I can't help but think how many more retailers would be carrying Estes products if this situation was remedied.
I can’t name 20 dealers not carrying our products—we try to discourage discounting and even WM is close to full retail.

Everyone should be able to make a profit or living at selling your products. They are good products. The distributor buys in larger volumes and makes their profit by selling in volume to the network of hobby shops. In turn, the hobby shops make their profit by selling to the customer. This should be a win-win situation, but when the distributors cuts out the hobby shops and sells directly to the customer, it gives them an unfair advantage. If a distributor is allowed to sell direct, it should be at a retail price or at the very least a set MAP.

I feel for the hobby shop owners who are trying to earn an honest living and have to compete with distributors (who are not distributing the product to retailers) and are selling Estes products direct to the customer. And that ultimately devalues the product.

I have been a big fan of Estes products since the 70’s, and don't like to see these products being dumped on the market by the distributors and devalued.
I agree with you 100 %--we don’t have distributors that sell directly to consumers at discount and neither do we by the way-again I repeat-we don’t sell directly to discount web based guys and when we find out that goods are diverted we cut off the diverter-if you know of anyone doing this let me know.

Bob Kaplow writes:
Hi bob—I am really sorry for pushing you-I wish I hadn’t –but after our incident the calls to my home threatening my family stopped so it had some effect—but I wish I hadn’t pushed you-one of the things in my life I will always regret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
If possible, can you add: Do you have or ever had a restraining order against Robert Kaplow of Ill?

I've certainly never been informed of any such order.

I did file a complaint against him with the Rosemont police for his attack on me at the RCHTA show a decade ago.
Is that what you're asking about?

As for my question, I'd like to know if Barry would like to apologize for his assault against me?
Yup-see above-the next time I am in Chicago I will buy you dinner-if you are married bring her as well—what kind of food do you like?

Gpoehlein writes:

My question is:

Is the announced re-issue of the A10-0T and A8-0 booster motors still planned?
Yes.

Mikus writes:

Given the lowered price of APCP motors direct from Aerotech leading to a lower "price per impulse" for APCP, does Estes have any intention of lowering their motor prices to make them more financially appealing to consumers?
No.
Any chance Wal Mart will be carrying D & E motors in the future?
None.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558