View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
*Nods* I let Peter Alway keep the scale data I sent him, because it would probably be dumped post mortem when the building management cleans out my apartment. Also:

Looking at the paper nose cones in the plans links that you posted, I think it would be easy to make curved-sided ones (tangent ogive, secant ogive, rounded-tip conical, etc.) and other such nose cones--as well as transitions and boat-tails (tail cones)--out of paper or card stock, by using papier-mâché construction methods (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papier-m%C3%A2ch%C3%A9 ). The mold could be 3D printed or made of polyurethane resin, with the white or yellow glue/paper mixture being pressed into place in the mold cavity. The nose cones or other parts could be either hollow-cast or solid-cast (in the latter case, a screw eye could be "investment cast" into the wet glue/paper mixture).

That's a very interesting idea . . . The idea of molding nose cones caught my attention.

With a 3-D printed mold ( I don't have a 3-D printer, but I have a friend that does ), it might be possible to "injection mold" nose cones, using epoxy in a syringe.

The two halves of the mold would be clamped together and the syringe attached to a threaded nipple on the mold . . . Of course, there would have to be a small hole to allow air to escape and the resin to completely fill the mold . . . . Once cured, the mold is unclamped and the sides are separated . . . Presto !

Thoughts ?