View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 PM
BAR

Ok, so I finished off the nosecone by going over the top instrument cone and disk seams and the seam to the thruster cylinder with a Sharpie. The color didn't quite match, so I went over the sides of the instrument cone and top dot to get it matched.

Next, the motor mount. The Mark II uses a distinctive and quite inventive motor mount design that incorporates a conical rocket nozzle at the base of the motor mount, which looks REALLY cool. Start off with the usual method of making a motor mount-- cut a slit, fit the hook, etc. The first difference from what I'm used to (Estes style motor mounts) is that you cut out a 'reinforcement band' from the wrap sheet, put a layer of white glue on the back, and wrap it around just below the engine hook top slit. This reinforces the motor mount tube. Install the motor hook as normal and give it a couple wraps of electrical tape to secure it. Now to the second deviation from standard motor mounts-- take the lower centering rings, 20-50's, and make sure they fit the motor tube, sand slightly if necessary. I tested mine on top of the tube above the motor hook. Once you have a nice fit, you'll have to notch the inside of the ring, approximately 1/8 inch wide or so, about half the thickness of the ring. Carefully cut about halfway through the thickness of the ring from the inside, move over a bit and repeat, then carefully lift the squares of paper out of the cut to make the groove. Install the ring over the motor mount per the instructions. Repeat these steps for the third motor ring that goes at the base of the motor mount tube. Cut the engine nozzle from the wrap sheet, curl it, glue it up with white glue, and let it dry. Again, cut basically right on the lines, as it was a perfect fit.
Notch the engine bell per the instructions to clear the motor hook and allow it to move, and glue it in as instructed. Finish the motor mount off by gluing up the third ring to the motor tube and bottom of the rocket nozzle cone. Lastly, notch the third ring from the outside as per the instructions to clear the motor hook for installing/removing the motor.

More to come! Here's the pics... OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2motormount.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  302.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  mark2fins.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  300.3 KB