View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
"There is a time for subtlety and a time for both hind hooves."

I like that!

All very helpful data, thank-you.

These folks have very short spans of attention. More than a couple of pages, and they are lost. I am working on a short, interesting power-point to show them that model rocketry is safe. Then I have to prepare myself for several completely ignorant questions.

It boils down to this:
30,000,000 kids between the ages of 5 and 14 will play organized sports this year. 3.5 million of them will make a trip to the ER due to injuries received while playing these sports. Sadly, three or four kids will die playing Baseball this year.

In over 60 years of organized model rocketry, and over 500,000,000 launches, one kid went to the ER for an eye injury, and four people have died (while attempting to retrieve rockets from power lines). For those who follow the rules, there have been ZERO injuries or fatalities in six decades.

A couple of points I want to get across is that in almost every sport permitted on public parks, some kind of protective equipment is required. In rocketry, we don't wear our protective equipment, we keep it in our heads. Having a group-launch means we make sure everyone follows those rules, and has fun.

Second is that model rocketry is used in STEM, and in classrooms all over the country. It is used by Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4H, etc... Were it actually dangerous, these youth organizations would not permit it.

OKAY - we're down to 60 seconds on the Delta Launch. I gotta cut out to watch