View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver
According to Robert, his engines can be ignited using standard electric igniters, they may be staged and clustered like BP-engines...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
This is an interesting statement. These are supposed to be composite motors, right? Isn't this a bit like a "Holy Grail" for non-BP motors?
Craig,

Keep in mind, some of the early composite motors came with staging ignitors (fuses). These were lit by the booster's exhaust. The length of the fuse was set to coincide with the booster's burn time, as I understand it. Anyway, the key is that composite staging (sans electronics) is not unprecedented. <warning, fuzzy memories ahead> Furthermore, I have a vague recollection reading that some of the early US made composites were set up for staging to BP.

My first take on these Klimas motors is that they're end burners ala BP and thus will lend themselves to BP style staging. For example, designations like D18-X and E18-X make me think they're using a propellant with a bit hotter mix than usual (ie, in the direction of AT's Warp 9, but not that hot) so that it can give moderate thrust in an end burning configuration which should allow staging to BP motors.

Anyway, I'm glad Oliver shared this with us. Thanks.

Doug

YORF member #11