View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 10:50 PM
BP Mafia

Default The long strange trip of the Estes World Federation Star Probe

Not sure how far back this project dates, but I know Arley was responsible for getting me a scan of the fins for it. I've had it sitting on the floor of my build area gathering dust for several years because I was disappointed in how it turned out. I'd gone for a simple build and left off a couple of the fiddly bits, and actually had it painted and flyable before I got mad at myself for taking the easy route. Last week I found the instructions and realized how close I actually was to having it finished as intended, and when I picked it up to inspect it, realized that I had never glued the big rear body tube in place. I'd just dry-fitted it. Oh, yeah. It was loaded with a B6-4, so that first flight must have been closer than I remember.
So, tonight it's here at work with me, waiting for my lunch break to mount the last three balsa strips. Tomorrow I'll re-spray the main body gloss white, while at the same time giving the Excelsior decals a couple of shots of Testor's decal bonder. I have a festival to work Friday night, a full day planned Saturday, but I could very possibly find time to do the decals for this on Sunday. Next WSR launch isn't for a couple of weeks, but I should be able to scrounge up a C6-5 for the launch on the big boy field.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2