View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 05:10 PM
The_Ripper

Default ARG T222-24 102 Sounding Rocket

Finally ..... back to building

Taras based the T222-24 102 Sounding Rocket off a two-stage rocket designed by Larry Brown of EnerJet. The original rocket utilized the 3 x 29mm cluster design of the EnerJet 2250 for the booster and used the Centuri Screaming Eagle with clipped fins for a sustainer.

An original can be seen in the 2650 literature standing on top of the table in the foreground. According to the October 1982 California Rocketry Magazine issue, the original EnerJet model was flown at Anaheim Stadium in 1974. The original used a PNC-231 for a reducer on top the ST-20 with a staging tube passed through the inside of it to the Screaming Eagle sustainer.

The ARG T222-24 102 features a 3 x 24mm motor mount with a solid balsa reducer. What I have is a single stage prototype and I'm not sure if a future release would be offered as single stage rocket or a two stage rocket kit. From what I have observed during this build, I can see it would not be very difficult to modify what I have into a fully functional two stage rocket.

Last night I bonded the fins, launch lugs and some very light weight spackling to finish out the gaps between the motor tubes where I had added cellulose insulation soaked in epoxy to fill the air gaps. Taras provided laser cut fins for the booster and I cut my own for the sustainer. A few fillets tonight on the fins and motor tubes and I should be ready for primer by tomorrow. I've already painted some of the components and I'm not going to finish it according to the pictures. I'm thinking of painting most of the booster flat black or possibly black with orange fins or one orange fin. Not sure. I'm thinking of flying it at one of our fall launches here in Louisiana at the HPR field because the field my NAR chapter uses in Baton Rouge would be way too small for a 3 motor cluster of E9's or even D12's. This rocket is very light for it's size.

45.0" Long, Sustainer Length 17.5", .908 Sustainer Diameter, 2.22" Booster Diameter, 3 x 24mm Motor Clusters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  03_Historical EnerJet Two-Stage Plan.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  19.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  01_Historical EnerJet Two-Stage Plan.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  26.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  02_Historical EnerJet Two-Stage Plan.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  18.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  01 T222-24 102 Sounding Rocket.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  60.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  02 T222-24 102 Sounding Rocket.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  126.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  03 T222-24 102 Sounding Rocket.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  123.2 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates