View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Master Modeler

Leo, Don't clone this kit with Alpha III parts, it is a royal pain in the *&$%. I have been working on this project every day that I can, and I finally have the paint complete. It is obvious to me that Estes did not build the Alpha kit for the catalog shoot. If you want to clone this kit this is what you should do. 1. Make the fins out of 1/16 plywood, they will then look like the plastic ones. 2. Only use 2 80 Bt's. One 13 inch for the yellow and one 27" for the white portion, I think BMS sells long Bt-80 tubes. 3. Use the new style Bt-80 coupling not the 1 inch thin ones that comes with the kit. They are too small and don't keep the Bt-80 tubes round and even, you can see this in one of my pictures. I used Epoxy, putty and primer with lots of sanding to smooth out the red fins and couplings. Originaly I was just going to prime the rocket and spray the white and yellow. I primed it and realized this was not going to work well so I sanded the primer away and began the filling, sanding and blending. I think this is a wonderful design and the paint scheme and decals are awsome. I wish Estes would have made this kit with wood instead of the plastic parts. Anyway hate to complain about an Estes kit, but this is the first kit that was hard to make look like the catalog picture.