View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Vaquero, Version 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Well...the lug on the fin is a long way down there. Putting it there, and having it be the only lug on the rocket means that you are asking the fin and fin root to mechanically lever the rocket into alignment with the rod (for 30" of travel, no less). That's a lot to ask of a 3/32" thick balsa fin that is attached with a 1.5" long root. If the rod has to be angled into the wind for any reason, I could see the resulting torque easily breaking the fin or ripping it off. I don't think that you want the Vaquero to fly as a 2FNC.
Well, *no...*

Quote:
I would put a small 3/8" long luglet right at the base of the payload section, right above the joint of the payload tube and the lower transition. If you are concerned that this will spoil those smooth, "candy shop cowboy" lines, then you could also put the lug onto a sleek, sculpted standoff just below the lower transition, shaped so that it sort of "flows" into the transition.
Thanks for the input, Mark! (Not to mention the reality check.)

Here's version 2 of the Vaquero, with suggested bigger launch lugs, as well as another lauch lug standoff mounted forward on the ST-10 lower body tube. <big evil grin>

The first four sims are in RS8 "before" the modification. The last four are in RS9.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_v2_3D.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  144.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_00.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  61.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Vaquero_01.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  120.2 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Vaquero_v2.rkt (110.4 KB, 111 views)
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014