View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Forest Sprite

They are easy as sin to clone, so that's what I do. I built two of them in, oh, a half hour, give or take a few minutes. Neither has flown yet, though. One was built for another project that I haven't started yet, and just last week I made a removable Micromaxx motor adapter for the other one. The adapter has a 2-56 socket head machine screw that extends through the motor block in the Micromaxx motor tube, and then screws into a really tiny 2-56 brass threaded insert that I screwed into the base of the nose cone and reinforced with CA. To mount and unmount it, I just insert a 5/64" hex wrench into the adapter's motor tube and turn the machine screw into or out of the threaded insert. The thing is, I made this adaptation after the Mosquito was built, so I had to work the insert into the base of the nose cone and CA it in while working blind from the back end of the Mosquito's body tube. The threaded insert, by the way, is really tiny. It didn't look for awhile like I could get it bored in, but persistence paid off. Applying CA all around it without getting any into the insert was also kind of tricky, because I couldn't see what I was doing. Did I mention that the threaded insert was really tiny?

Mark \\.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Insert embedded.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  115.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Insert-close.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  79.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Hex key into mount.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  105.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screw inserted.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  68.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Insert machine screw into mount.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  143.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Machine screw, washer and mount.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  160.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Hex key, mount with screw, insert.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  143.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mount bottom.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  102.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mount bolted in.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  113.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mount with motor-4.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  54.7 KB  

Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011