View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Flight report for 06-08-2008

It was late when I got to the field, just after 6 PM. This gave me about an hour of daylight, and the temps had dropped to something bearable. My plan was to fly the first Dominion Keeper prototype again, after making some fin changes. I also had the second DK prototype ready. The Tau Draconis prototype was begging some test time, as was a clone of a Custom Serval.

Flight 1: Dominion Keeper #1, on an A8-3. It started out with a straight flight, if a bit sluggish, but at the moment the thrust phase ended and the coast phase began, the model broke again in the yaw axis. Deployment took place with sufficient altitude, but this model is unstable in its current configuration.

Flight 2: Dominion Keeper #2, on an A8-3. This is a modified version, with larger secondary fins. The secondary fins now are all the way to the edge of the tube, and the large fins have been moved back about 1 1/2". Additionally, the fins are thinner at 3/32" instead of the 1/8", reducing the rear-end weight by at least a fourth of the original fin weight. Clearly, these three changes were sufficient to make this prototype stable, as this flight was straight and smooth up to about 100'. Maybe higher, but not much. I was convinced it could handle a B6-4.

Flight 3: Dominion Keeper #2, on a B6-4. I'll let the video speak instead.

Flight 4: Tau Draconis, on an A10-3T. A real hot motor for getting the model off the pad, but in comparison to the A3-4T which I used on the next flight, I don't think the stronger spike is really important. The flight was straight and came close to the predicted 190' altitude.

Flight 5: Tau Draconis, on an A3-4T. Better flight, not as hot on the ascent, but plenty of power to reach the 190' mark. Watch the video.

Flight 6: Custom Serval clone, on a B6-4. Nice flight, straight, no unusual bad habits. See the video.

I called it a day at this point, tired but happy overall.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635