Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans & Publications (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Centuri Egg Crate Decals (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6206)

Gus 11-23-2009 03:47 PM

Centuri Egg Crate Decals

3 Attachment(s)
I am restoring an original Centuri Egg Crate I picked up in an auction.

I had Sandman bring me a set of the decals and what he brought is what's shown in the first picture below.

But the rocket I am restoring had small decals on the fins as shown in the second photo which were not in Excelsior's original file.

Does anyone have a copy of the original decal set? There are no decals for this kit viewable online.

I also noticed the available plans do not have the header card which I've scanned and uploaded below as well.

Scott, feel free to merge the header card and fin photo with the plans you have online.

Steve

kurtschachner 11-23-2009 05:57 PM

Any chance you could attach a high resolution (600 DPI) TIFF scan of that decal? I would be interested in redrawing it, and then you could get Excelsior to print them for you, if you don't have an Alps printer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I am restoring an original Centuri Egg Crate I picked up in an auction.

I had Sandman bring me a set of the decals and what he brought is what's shown in the first picture below.

But the rocket I am restoring had small decals on the fins as shown in the second photo which were not in Excelsior's original file.

Does anyone have a copy of the original decal set? There are no decals for this kit viewable online.

I also noticed the available plans do not have the header card which I've scanned and uploaded below as well.

Scott, feel free to merge the header card and fin photo with the plans you have online.

Steve

sandman 11-23-2009 08:15 PM

Yep, those look like silver decals not white.

Anybody know for sure?

Ltvscout 11-24-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

Thanks, Steve.

Gus 12-03-2009 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I'm at the point of deciding what color to paint.

The top is easy, black with silver bands.

Header card (in 1st post above) is printed in Centuri Orange and makes the mid-body look orange.

Catalog pictures (below) make it look blue in the full size pic and white in the half-pic in the lower right corner.

Neither the header card nor catalog were full color pics. Each was a single color and of note is that the scale Tomahawk on the page facing the Egg Crate is also shown in shades of blue, black, and white.

The model I'm restoring was actually painted nothing like the pictures so I can't use it as a guide.

Any suggestions?

Vanel 12-03-2009 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gus,

I painted mine to match the scheme on the back inside cover of the Centuri 71 catalog (look left of the Centurion).

My clone

barone 12-03-2009 10:46 PM

Looks yellow.....kinda like scrambled eggs........ :rolleyes:

Gus 12-04-2009 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
Gus,

I painted mine to match the scheme on the back inside cover of the Centuri 71 catalog (look left of the Centurion).

My clone

Bill,

Thanks so much for the pic. Very interesting that the photo model looks different from the other two.

Nice build, by the way.

Gus 01-02-2010 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The lighting in the picture is not too good but here is a pic of my completed Egg Crate. I chose to go with the catalog colors of blue and white.

Decals by Excelsior. Sandman is making me a couple of the Egg decals I posted above and I will add those when I get them.

Again, if anyone has a copy of the original decal sheet I'd love to see it.

Initiator001 01-02-2010 05:18 PM

Your Egg Crate model looks great, Steve!

Will you fly it?

Bob