Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Software (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Browser Issues and Tidbits (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4743)

CPMcGraw 02-21-2009 01:27 PM

Browser Issues and Tidbits

Since one of the projects still on the BARCLONE agenda is to develop a new website, I thought this might be a good place to talk about internet browsers and their peculiarities. No two browsers display a web page exactly the same, so when developing a page, one has to really develop at least five different pages, one for each of the major browsers currently being used.

I'll start this off with something I've found out about Google Chrome. This may already be common knowledge among some of you, bit I didn't notice it until today. Chrome identifies itself as "Netscape 5".

OK, I'm done for now... :D

CPMcGraw 02-21-2009 01:46 PM

OK, I'm back... :D

Firefox 3 also identifies itself as "Netscape 5"...

Tau Zero 02-21-2009 01:51 PM

FireFox is NOT for me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
OK, I'm back... :D

Firefox 3 also identifies itself as "Netscape 5"...
Mozilla Firefox 2 kept "eating" my bookmarks :eek: :mad: , so I permanently deleted it from my hard drive, along with Mozilla Thunderbird.

Okay, I'm done venting. For now.

CPMcGraw 02-21-2009 02:00 PM

Round 3...

Apple Safari identifies itself as... Netscape 5...

CPMcGraw 02-21-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Mozilla Firefox 2 kept "eating" my bookmarks :eek: :mad: , so I permanently deleted it from my hard drive, along with Mozilla Thunderbird.

Okay, I'm done venting. For now.

Maybe that's why there's a FireFox 3 now...

Try Chrome. So far, it seems to be the fastest of the group. And I like the tabs better than any of the others. They just seem to work...

All three of these Netscape Clones display the pages differently from each other. It still means I have to develop a customization routine for each one... Rats!

CPMcGraw 02-21-2009 02:13 PM

Opera 9.63 looks similar to Chrome, but it identifies itself as "Opera 9.63"...

At this moment, I have all five major browsers running simultaneously. Again, no two are alike!

CPMcGraw 02-21-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
...Mozilla Thunderbird...

That's my mail client now, and has been since I loaded Vista. I like it, and have no issues with it. It won't import my old Outlook folders, but then, neither will Outlook Express...

Anyone know of a good import tool that doesn't require Outlook to be running, and which doesn't cost anything? Nothing feature-handicapped or -restricted, either.

Royatl 02-21-2009 02:20 PM

I prefer Chrome now, since they got their issues with Flash, Reader, and Silverlight straightened out, but there are many web sites that still refuse to serve to it since it appears to them as a badly outdated browser.

It also surprises and annoys me that they don't use the same bookmark system as the Google Toolbar for IE and Firefox. CHECK that, they suddenly do now, but they don't use it in the same smooth way the Toolbar does. Maybe they'll work it out in the next few weeks.

CPMcGraw 02-21-2009 02:31 PM

Now I've noticed my first real quirk...

Firefox 3 doesn't want to show my logo graphic (a simple JPG image) in the upper-most frame, while all of the others display it correctly.

Not a good start for FF3... :(

CPMcGraw 02-21-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I prefer Chrome now, since they got their issues with Flash, Reader, and Silverlight straightened out, but there are many web sites that still refuse to serve to it since it appears to them as a badly outdated browser.

It also surprises and annoys me that they don't use the same bookmark system as the Google Toolbar for IE and Firefox. CHECK that, they suddenly do now, but they don't use it in the same smooth way the Toolbar does. Maybe they'll work it out in the next few weeks.

When I need to register a download with MS, they require the use of IE. Chrome won't work with Windows Update, for example...

Is Chrome releasing a new version? I'll have to go check that out...