Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Saturn Press Decals (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15562)

Gus 11-02-2015 11:52 AM

Saturn Press Decals

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have a set of the Saturn Press decals that were offered at the turn of the century?

Photo below is of the set as advertised in the Spring 1997 Saturn Press catalog.

Thanks,

Steve

MarkB. 11-02-2015 02:13 PM

Me Too! Me Too!

A set came up on eBay a couple of years ago but the seller cancelled the auction. I copies the decals and the instructions. I just can't seem to find them on this drive . . . .

I had always hoped that Gordy would get Peter Alway's blessing to print new ones.

Gus 11-02-2015 02:23 PM

I'm sure Peter will be fine with it and Gordy can still make very nice black-and-white decals.

sandman 11-02-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I'm sure Peter will be fine with it and Gordy can still make very nice black-and-white decals.

I actually never heard of them before today.

Since they are just black and white I can reproduce them. I can't do it for $12.50.

If anyone has a good scan with a 1" square for scale I'd be happy to offer them for as long as I can.

ManofSteele 11-03-2015 01:43 AM

I will look when I get a chance. I know I have a set - just not sure where they are.

Matt

PeterAlway 11-03-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
I had always hoped that Gordy would get Peter Alway's blessing to print new ones.

Gordy Hereby has my blessings to print new ones. However, my blessings might not be enough!

That said, I didn't actually do the artwork for those. I don't even remember who *did*. He was a gentleman who had his own little decal-making business, and on his own offered to make decals for the rocket plans in "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry." While based on my model plans, he took the initiative to add things like rivets and more accurate fonts, and nicer artwork on the V-2 No. 3 Cheesecake art. When I sold out (except for exactly one set--not even a spare duplicate for my own models) he was unable to produce more for some annoying technical reason, and I wasn't even able to reach him after a while.

They were full-color decals, by the way, and not just B&W.

GuyNoir 11-03-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
If anyone has a good scan with a 1" square for scale I'd be happy to offer them for as long as I can.

Hey, Gordy!

I found my set (2 sheets).

How about I just mail 'em to you and you can scan to your hearts pleasure?

PM me your mailing address.

MarkB. 11-03-2015 09:38 PM

And don't forget to send him the application instructions! You gotta add those, Gordy! I'll order a set as soon as you tell us.

5x7 01-14-2019 10:10 AM

Art of Scale Model Rocketry Decals

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
Gordy Hereby has my blessings to print new ones. However, my blessings might not be enough!

That said, I didn't actually do the artwork for those. I don't even remember who *did*. He was a gentleman who had his own little decal-making business, and on his own offered to make decals for the rocket plans in "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry." While based on my model plans, he took the initiative to add things like rivets and more accurate fonts, and nicer artwork on the V-2 No. 3 Cheesecake art. When I sold out (except for exactly one set--not even a spare duplicate for my own models) he was unable to produce more for some annoying technical reason, and I wasn't even able to reach him after a while.

They were full-color decals, by the way, and not just B&W.

I have emailed Gordy to see if he can make these usable but since he no longer prints he might not be able to do it. Attached are just the lower res scans. The very large bold black Saturn roll pattern is 130.3 mm. Astrobee 500 is 78.6mm. The hoist here decal is 132.2 mm

sandman 01-14-2019 11:11 AM

I may have to send another Alps printer to Japan for repair.

I have many of those "images" in existing file so making them all on one sheet shouldn't be that difficult for me.