Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   TLP paper cones (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3943)

MarkB. 09-26-2008 06:00 AM

TLP paper cones

O.K. panel,

I'm finishing up a TLP PAC-3. Some of their kits (or a least the ones I have) have a paper cone you glue on top of the standard plastic cone.

I glued the paper cone on and want to know what recommendations you might make for a filler to blend the paper into the plastic.

Plastic filler?

Epoxy and micro-balloons?

Fill-n-Finish?

Something else?

tbzep 09-26-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
O.K. panel,

I'm finishing up a TLP PAC-3. Some of their kits (or a least the ones I have) have a paper cone you glue on top of the standard plastic cone.

I glued the paper cone on and want to know what recommendations you might make for a filler to blend the paper into the plastic.

Plastic filler?

Epoxy and micro-balloons?

Fill-n-Finish?

Something else?

I'd use Bondo spot putty since it is going to have to adhere to the plastic part. The stuff works fine on paper also, so that's not an issue.

Solomoriah 09-26-2008 09:16 AM

I've read about people mixing talcum powder and Future to get a plastic-compatible filler. However, I'd prime it once, then use FnF to fill it in. FnF doesn't stick to plastic all that well, but it sticks to my cheapo primer just fine.

jetlag 09-26-2008 09:49 AM

I use 30min Epoxy with either balsa dust or microballons to reduce the weight. Works extremely well, holds its shape under duress (does not deform during recovery), can be blended into the plastic NC seemlessly, and will not move off the NC at all. I fill the paper cone all the way, leaving just enough space to glue down to the NC without it hitting the epoxy. If you time it right, you can attach it to the NC while the material is still tacky. Just wipe off the excess with alcohol (70%).
Glue it atop the NC with epoxy, as well.
I would suggest you center the paper cone first and draw a pencil line to mark its exact (where you are happy with it) location atop the NC. Sometimes, I've found hardening the paper cone with some instant CA wicked into the entire paper helps it maintain its shape as you pour in the mixture.
After all is dry, use bondo to smooth out the seem. All can be wet-sanded smooth, and it will look fabulous!
Hope this helps!
Allen

marcsl 09-26-2008 01:04 PM

I have also used Bondo. To add some strength to the pointy/paper part of the cone, I have been filling the entire inside of the paper tip with balsa filler.

Started doing this after dropping a nose cone and deforming the paper part of the cone. With the balsa filler, they feel quite strong, but I haven't dropped one since to see if it really works :)

Marc

tonypv 09-26-2008 04:52 PM

Squadron White Putty.