Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Rocket Boosted Gliders (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   *Paper* boost-glider... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16102)

blackshire 07-16-2016 08:11 AM

*Paper* boost-glider...

I just came across these plans (see: www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXMVI6J7UTk ) for a sailplane-type glider (having a fuselage, long wings, and a V-tail) that can be made—at no cost—out of paper! Also, this T-tailed sailplane (see: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHiHg-ho8D8 ) is made out of foam picnic plates! Both of them could, with minor modifications, be converted into pop-pod boost-gliders (B/Gs) powered by 13 mm mini motors or 6 mm MicroMaxx motors.

I hope this information will be helpful.

AstronMike 07-16-2016 08:48 PM

Paper....and Depron

I've toyed around with the idea of using papery-type stuff for BG wing surfaces in the past, notably around 2009/10. Even made a paper BT-80 sized Bomarc that probably wouldn't survive boost on a C6....

IINM, 2mm Depron is much stiffer and actually *lighter* than standard copy paper.

Back then, I actually made a BT-55 sized gliding Bomarc, using the 2mm Depron for the wings/tail, and the body plus NC rolled from single ply copy paper. Pod tube was also rolled similarly, as it was 13mm.

That actually boosted - and glided - pretty darned well!! Problems: 1/ Being all paper and Depron, any hot ejection charge chars or even burns the thing! Think: Mini-Hindenburg :eek:

2/ Guy with a sub-2000 Tripoli number flying this sort of stuff at an HPR launch looks too weird, even by my standards. So, I quit doing these soon thereafter.

I also had made up a 'full sized' SkyDart this way, as well as a downscale of my 'Nemesis' glider.

If I had someplace private to fly, I'd get back to these things. Neat to use 13mm motors to fly 'full sized' sport gliders!

blackshire 07-17-2016 01:49 AM

Occasionally helping a teacher in Eagle, Alaska (she uses model rocketry and radio & electronic projects in her students' STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics] classes), the paper boost-gliders struck me as being good for very low-cost school projects. Depron would be more durable, though. Also:

If water glass (a solution of sodium silicate, which Jetex modelers used [and still use] to flame-proof the rolled card stock and rolled 1/64" sheet balsa jet pipes in some of their jet models) would work with depron, that might solve the "Hindenburg" problem. The brevity of the "heat & flame pulse" from a model rocket motor's ejection charge would work in your favor here, and:

I've always thought that HPR is best enjoyed as a "spectator sport" (watching others fly their big, expensive models powered by big, expensive motors), while flying far smaller--and cheaper--model rockets that, in many cases, can actually go higher! :-)