Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Centuri Viking Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14550)

scigs30 12-06-2014 12:16 AM

Centuri Viking Build

5 Attachment(s)
I have 2 of these kits and have been wanting to build one for awhile. I also have a couple of Estes Viking kits and they are different from this kit. The parts are in excellent condition and should be an easy build. The decal is basic, the plans state the wrap around decal has a unique number for your Viking ID, but as you can see it only has the motor sizes.

Earl 12-06-2014 09:22 AM

On the decal, I think your unique number is '2'.

Earl

sandman 12-06-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I have 2 of these kits and have been wanting to build one for awhile. I also have a couple of Estes Viking kits and they are different from this kit. The parts are in excellent condition and should be an easy build. The decal is basic, the plans state the wrap around decal has a unique number for your Viking ID, but as you can see it only has the motor sizes.

Could I get a scan of the decal before you use it, please?

And a measurement of the wrap. Just the length.

MarkB. 12-06-2014 11:46 AM

Could you scan the plans too, so we can have them at JimZ or YORP? Even though it's a simple rocket and there had to be tons of them made, that's a kit plan (and decal) no one seems to have preserved.

If you don't have access to one, I've got a large-format scanner. If I can talk you out of the plans for a week or so, I'll scan them and send them to both JimZ and YORP. And of course, mail the plan back to you.

Earl 12-06-2014 01:05 PM

I suspect many were made also, but actually this one has been one of the more difficult kits to collect in the Centuri line.

I've been working towards a complete Centuri kit collection for a good handful of years, one of each for building and one of each for 'keeping'. I was able to get two of a number of the typically perceived hard to get kits such as Little Joes and some Mini Max and Enerjet kits long before I was able to obtain two specimens of this kit.

Matter of fact, it was just earlier this year I was able to get two Vikings and they were fiercely bid for by other collectors.

Earl

hcmbanjo 12-06-2014 06:24 PM

The combination shock cord anchor piece and engine spacing "tool" are interesting.

scigs30 12-06-2014 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sandman, I am almost done drawing the decal in CorelDraw and will email that to you to print. The color of the decal is more orange than it is red, just thought you would want to know.
This was a fast easy build, did replace the rubber shock cord with new Estes shock cord. I built the rocket per the plans, sealed the fiber fins with Aero gloss balsa sealer and sanded smooth. I will shoot gloss white tomorrow, but have not decided if I am going to paint the plastic nose or just leave it the molded color......What you think? Paint or leave it alone?

5x7 12-06-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:
Sandman, I am almost done drawing the decal in CorelDraw and will email that to you to print. The color of the decal is more orange than it is red, just thought you would want to know.
This was a fast easy build, did replace the rubber shock cord with new Estes shock cord. I built the rocket per the plans, sealed the fiber fins with Aero gloss balsa sealer and sanded smooth. I will shoot gloss white tomorrow, but have not decided if I am going to paint the plastic nose or just leave it the molded color......What you think? Paint or leave it alone?

The nose cone looks great as-is.

tbzep 12-06-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:
I will shoot gloss white tomorrow, but have not decided if I am going to paint the plastic nose or just leave it the molded color......What you think? Paint or leave it alone?

Get the decals on first, then put the nose cone on and see if you think you would like it better naked or with one of the many shades of red you probably have in your closet. You will see the model every day. We will only see a photo of it once or twice in our lifetime. Choose whichever pushes your launch button. :cool:

scigs30 12-07-2014 12:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am unable to upload the instructions, but I can email them to someone else to post. Here is the original scanned decal and the clean up version drawn in CorelDraw and saved in PDF for Sandman to use.