Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is Quest "ill?" (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15710)

blackshire 01-05-2016 12:59 AM

Is Quest "ill?"

Hello All,

Is Quest Aerospace "ill?" My recent experiences have suggested this--they were as follows:

While trying to purchase Quest MicroMaxx RTF (Ready-To-Fly) starter sets and rockets-only sets (all of which are quickly becoming as uncommon as Matzoh balls in Saudi Arabia), I have been told--by several U.S. and European hobby vendors that I buy from--that Quest has been dropped by all but one U.S. distributor, and that they are failing to fill orders in Europe. None of the owners of these vendors are angry at Quest; instead, they are very sad and troubled, because they fear that Quest seems to be in the process of ceasing to be. Also:

This reminds me of what happened to MPC (which later became AVI and AVI Astroport) many Moons ago. All of the potential of MPC and its later "incarnations," for reasons that I'm not personally privy to, was gradually allowed to be scattered to the winds (until Quest itself started up decades later, using the old MPC/AVI/AVI Astroport tooling). Even what should be common parts (such as 1/8" launch lugs and MicroMaxx igniter holder tubes [which are 1/2" lengths of black vinyl-and-kraft paper 1/8" launch lugs]) aren't on the Quest website. I get the impression that no one is actively handling the helm at Quest, which--if this is correct--is a shame, because they have fine kits, parts, launching equipment, and rocket motors. In addition:

If anyone here could shed light on the situation at Quest Aerospace, I would be most grateful. I'm inquiring about this not to pry, but simply out of concern for a company that it has been my pleasure to deal with, whose products I like (and have bought for a teacher I help), and which I would like to see prosper and grow. Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Jerry Irvine 01-05-2016 07:53 AM

We have public facing comments from the principals that give a good indication of causes if not future directions. Bill and Gary combined forces and simplified the supply chain. Aerotech does not actively offer RMS casings to nearly the same degree as Dr. Rocket did or Rouse after that. There is a reliable rumor that they are trying again to bring BP motor production back on-shore. The last time they tried that in Yuma, AZ there was an accident with deaths.

Estes seems to have the safety aspect of BP motor production sorted to a near perfect degree. The only accident they have had was actually a brush fire that spread to a storage unit. A fire that was intentionally set to prevent a larger fire. Oops.

Gary's step-son is the manager of Aerotech as Gary has moved on to lasers and I suspect being a grandpa to a large bevy of kids.

I suspect the lower end Quest line is the shortest margin or at least the lowest dollar per unit line the company offers. Further it relied entirely on Chinese production which as many may not know has been increasing in cost to come closer in line to USA labor costs. Still a pretty wide margin away, but largely from currency manipulation and tariffs by China.

If the USA simply deregulated labor we would come into line with Chinese costs within 7-10 years. This would put pressure on eliminating minimum wages as folks would want entry level jobs and immigration would increase. This would substantially increase our participation rate and money velocity.

So with those macroeconomics in mind and the firm level choices we can observe, they are "changing their product mix". They are moving squarely back to SU HPR which U.S. Rockets had a 60% market share in 1992 and before.

One would think with all the molds in place and the supply chain set for these lower priced products, the thing to do is an annual production and a 15% price increase to account for changed currency and Chinese economic conditions. 12 million folks a year into the middle class is a major piece of good news for them. They just started a major shift to a local service sector as well. Liftoff.

Jerry

bob jablonski 01-05-2016 09:19 AM

Quest isn't going away. They are working on coming back. The issues with China bit them . Which is pushing them back to made in America. And the issues with Chinas labor is pushing a few jobs back to here (that's why I work 50-60 hour weeks at my day job now) As there labor force ages the 1 child per family is hurting them. They just passed a law where the familys can have 2 kids due to the labor shortage. Yes Quest needs to work on there web site. Items listed as out of stock is available. and what not. But Micro maxx kits and motors are available. The Distributor's system has been becoming less and less relevent thanks to the internet. a number of small companys dropped distributors due to the almost none excestant profit. The 2 biggest distributors will only give you $0.37 on the dollar and you pay the shipping. (remember I used to own and run Starlight Rockets and went through a number of distributors.)
A number of dealers are starting to pick up on Quest direct as the China backlog broke free including yours truly. There is a number of interesting items in the pipe line I can not talk about. But my selection will be expanding in a week and by spring I will have the full line in stock. I can say this though. The new USA motors are at NAR going through certification.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehobbie@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

Jerry Irvine 01-05-2016 09:53 AM

China manufacturing labor is up to $7/hr and Mexico is up to $4.50.

hcmbanjo 01-05-2016 10:13 AM

Boy, talk about timing -
I called Quest/Aerotech yesterday.

There's some interesting news on today's blog post:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...-quest-ill.html

bob jablonski 01-05-2016 12:12 PM

I should have Specified Micro Maxx motors and Starter sets are available. yes the rocketry show should shed some light I am not at liberty to talk about.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies

Initiator001 01-05-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
Boy, talk about timing -
I called Quest/Aerotech yesterday.

There's some interesting news on today's blog post:
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...-quest-ill.html

"Domestically produced BP engines? Who other than Estes can make engines in the US? Quest still has the old MPC engine making machines. (Estes did make Centuri branded engines for years.) "

Quest does not have the MPC motor making machines.
FSI located and acquired them just before Bill Stine discovered the location of the machines.

Quest had all new machines built. I saw one of them 6-7 years ago.

doswonk 01-05-2016 12:58 PM

The Rocketry Show just posted an episode that includes an interview with Charles Savoie from Aerotech. As Chris noted in his blog post, it's supposed to contain some info re: The Quest Situation.

http://www.therocketryshow.com/the-...-rocket-motors/

I can't listen yet 'cuz I'm at work and have to go to a meeting.

doswonk 01-05-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
FSI located and acquired them just before Bill Stine discovered the location of the machines.

If I'm remembering correctly, FSI got hold of the MPC/AVI machines in the late '80s but didn't have the operating manuals. Somebody heavily involved in MPC did......guy with the last name of "Stine". So G Harry and Bill made a deal with FSI to get the machines running for them if FSI would supply engines to Quest. Then FSI went south. I think the folks who recently bought FSI actually got the MPC machines as part of the sale. (Or were they junked before the sale? Help - somebody with a better memory than me!)

hcmbanjo 01-05-2016 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
"Domestically produced BP engines? Who other than Estes can make engines in the US? Quest still has the old MPC engine making machines. (Estes did make Centuri branded engines for years.) "

Thanks Bob for clearing it up.
You would know, you were there.
I'm only going by what I was told down the grapevine.