Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Omg (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10789)

jharding58 02-29-2012 11:26 PM

Omg

2 Attachment(s)
With thanks to Tim Van Milligan. If you have the time, then assuredly this is worth the expenditure.

stefanj 02-29-2012 11:51 PM

Is that the 1/70th scale?

I have one up in my closet . . . a Saturn 1b too.

First I'm going to finally tackle my Estes Saturn 1b. 36 years is long enough . . .

Also, I'm not sure where I'd store the assembled Saturn V. That thing is huge!

jharding58 03-01-2012 02:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That is the Apogee 1/70th. I have yet to even get my hands on the long lamented SHR Saturn V at 1/48 - that is 7.5 feet! I am not sure that I would even take on the Sirius at 1/64th. Having reached this point in building the Saturn V , I am becoming more inclined to go after their Saturn 1b.

hcmbanjo 03-01-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
With thanks to Tim Van Milligan. If you have the time, then assuredly this is worth the expenditure.

I agree! I've built two of the Apogee Saturn Vs.
Some steps on the Apogee Saturn were easier than the Estes Saturn.
The DVD video instructions are a big plus on that complicated of a build.
On the DVD, Tim explains a great way to paint the black patterns over the corrugations. It takes a little time to do but is much better than trying to mask it. His method works very well.

I like the size comparison shot of the Redstone next to the Saturn V.

Kimble29 03-01-2012 10:21 AM

Wow, that is impressive! Can't wait to see a photo of it fully painted and decal'd. Beautiful work!

luke strawwalker 03-01-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
I agree! I've built two of the Apogee Saturn Vs.
Some steps on the Apogee Saturn were easier than the Estes Saturn.
The DVD video instructions are a big plus on that complicated of a build.
On the DVD, Tim explains a great way to paint the black patterns over the corrugations. It takes a little time to do but is much better than trying to mask it. His method works very well.

I like the size comparison shot of the Redstone next to the Saturn V.

And what method is that??

Later! OL JR :)

jharding58 03-04-2012 07:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Herewith closer to completion. As travel permits.

duobob 03-04-2012 08:13 PM

Looking great as usual! I really like the details its going to be a real showpiece :D

jharding58 03-04-2012 08:21 PM

The details on the wraps are spot on. Once you settle in to stretching them into place it is a relatively predictable task. The only resin parts are the OMS pods, fins, and ullage motors.

luke strawwalker 03-04-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
The details on the wraps are spot on. Once you settle in to stretching them into place it is a relatively predictable task. The only resin parts are the OMS pods, fins, and ullage motors.

There are no "OMS" pods on a Saturn V... There are Auxiliary Propulsion Units on the S-IVB...

Orbital Manuevering System (OMS) was a shuttle system, roughly analgous to the "Service Propulsion System" (SPS) on Apollo...

Later! OL JR :)