Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintage Estes Mars Lander Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5341)

scigs30 05-26-2009 07:36 PM

Vintage Estes Mars Lander Build

I decided to start on one of my original Mars Lander kits. This kit is in good condition considering how old these kits are. The box was open and the parts inside were bagged still. The decal is in good condition and the only things I will change out will be the rubber bands...thanks Carl..., new Estes rubber shock cord and new tape disks for the parachute. This should be a fun build, but will take awhile since I will be busy in the next few weeks. I am also completing an old Guillows SE5-A biplane.

Dang thats a lot of parts :o

tbzep 05-26-2009 08:44 PM

It goes together quicker than you'd think, especially since you have good painting weather most of the time to paint sub assemblies, if you choose to go that route. I had to wait on good weather, along with thinking through several options to modify it in order to have access to the rubber bands after they rot. I think I could build a second one in stock configuration pretty quickly weather permitting for paint. Right now, I feel like I'm living in Seattle...rain every day. :rolleyes:

scigs30 05-26-2009 08:57 PM

I saw yours and it looks really nice, hope mine comes out that nice. I am thinking about using Tamiya Fine Surface white primer on the wraps so I don't fill the details.

tbzep 05-26-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I saw yours and it looks really nice, hope mine comes out that nice. I am thinking about using Tamiya Fine Surface white primer on the wraps so I don't fill the details.

Thanks. It turned out better than I thought it would. I'm tempted to build a second one and only fly the one that looks the ugliest. :p

scigs30 05-27-2009 01:02 AM

I am currently working on the below project, so I will try to trade off time with my Mars Lander. Zep, when you say sub assemblies, are you talking about painting the landing gear separate? Is there anything else I have to paint separate?

tbzep 05-27-2009 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I am currently working on the below project, so I will try to trade off time with my Mars Lander. Zep, when you say sub assemblies, are you talking about painting the landing gear separate? Is there anything else I have to paint separate?

The image is blocked here at work. I'll have to look again when I get home.

Yes, I painted the legs seperately. You need to paint the nozzle beforehand also because it recesses into the decent stage's bottom shroud. Everything else can be painted at once, but you will need to mask off the landing legs and nozzle if you assemble first.

I painted the decent/ascent stages before assembly so that I wouldn't have to fool with masking off the landing legs (and nozzle if it's glued on). I painted the antennae and RCS covers separately because I wanted some color. The lander has an awful lot of unbroken white surface area if you don't add a little bit of color detail. I carefully scraped some paint away to give the glue a place to hold them on the lander. If you plan to leave them white, just glue them on during the build. That's all I can think of right now. I'll have to look at the lander itself, or look over the plans to see if there is anything I forgot.

BEC 05-27-2009 01:09 PM

That's a cute little SE-5 - looks nicely done.

Weather forecast for the Seattle area for the next week is sunny and dry. :)

jetlag 05-27-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Yes, quite! Nice to see some folks still know how to do that kind of construction. Most of the folks I fly with prefer the ARF R/C route. Just forget about rubber-powered; they would stick a brushless motor, servos and a battery in and off they'd go!
I still prefer old school.
Back to the thread.......
Isn't the Crossbow a good bit smaller than the Satellite Interceptor?
Allen

tbzep 05-27-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Weather forecast for the Seattle area for the next week is sunny and dry. :)

We really don't need your rain anymore. Please take it back!

tbzep 05-27-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Back to the thread.......
Isn't the Crossbow a good bit smaller than the Satellite Interceptor?
Allen

Wrong thread....this one is about the Mars Lander. :p