Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Aggressor Aerospace AGNI-1 build (on the road) (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14900)

jeffyjeep 03-16-2015 04:54 PM

Aggressor Aerospace AGNI-1 build (on the road)

3 Attachment(s)
I've been called out to Kalamazoo on a job and since I'm driving it, I've schlepped my "portable bench" and a few kits to work on in the evenings.

One of the kits I brought is the 1:40 scale Indian AGNI-1 short range ballistic missile from Aggressor Aerospace.

"The Vixen" has been itching to paint a camo job by hand, so this should fit the bill.

The kit's pretty straightforward: white paper tubes, balsa reducer and NC, Estes chute, and instructions that are "not for beginners".

TBC

mojo1986 03-16-2015 05:50 PM

Hey, nice looking kit! Did you buy that online?

Joe

jeffyjeep 03-16-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Hey, nice looking kit! Did you buy that online?

Joe

Yes, from Sirius Rocketry.

jeffyjeep 03-16-2015 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The engine mount is old-school (friction mount.) I've added a 100# Kevlar leader to the top CR20/60 for the shock cord mount.

TBC

jeffyjeep 03-16-2015 07:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The engine mount is now epoxied into the BT60. The instructions say to flush-mount the mount's lower CR to the bottom of the BT60, but I've recessed it approx. 1/16" to accept an epoxy fillet.

The supplied piece of 1/8" balsa is nice and flat and generously large enough to cut out the (4) teensy-weensy fins. Using the supplied pattern I've cut out the fins and rounded the outer edges.

The long strips of hardwood (spruce, maybe) for the conduits are arrow straight. I cut them to length and then shape the top and bottom ends with the Corian slab covered with 220.

TBC

jeffyjeep 03-16-2015 08:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The fins, lugs, and conduits are now mounted. The fins and lugs are filletted--I haven't yet decided if I'm going to fillet the conduits.

TBC

jeffyjeep 03-16-2015 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The BNC and the reducer took a lot of work to make them fit in the tubes. Also, as per the instructions it was necessary to shorten the pointy BNC by 7/8" and then shape the tip round.

Well, I guess assembly is complete. The glory will be in the finishing and the camouflaging!

.............after I get back home.

TBC

frognbuff 03-16-2015 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
The BNC and the reducer took a lot of work to make them fit in the tubes. Also, as per the instructions it was necessary to shorten the pointy BNC by 7/8" and then shape the tip round.

Well, I guess assembly is complete. The glory will be in the finishing and the camouflaging!

.............after I get back home.

TBC

Jeff - so glad to see you building one of our kits! The Agni 1 is the easiest in the lot. Try the Unha-3 or DF-15B (when I finally produce some more) for a challenge. Be sure to do some googling to find the Agni 1 painting options. You can no doubt do better justice to India's camouflage schemes than I can!

For others, we've entered into an agreement with Apogee to sell our kits. Resulted in a bit more mark-up, but they have the a stellar customer service record and a large following. More kits are in the works - just waiting on some balsa pieces before we hit the field for prototype flight testing. Stay tuned....

luke strawwalker 03-16-2015 08:36 PM

That looks great... been interested in these kits and thinking about getting one at some point... Nice to see a build thread on these kits. KUTGW!

OL JR :)

Daddyisabar 03-17-2015 11:37 AM

I just get too Aggressive when launching these kits! On about the sixth launch I put the Unha 3 in the lake, which was the second Aggressor kit I have done that with, but this time I lost a 24mm casing. Great scale kits with tiny fins to put the scare into any RSO. Power and nose weight are your friends! Fortunately I have another one in the build pile I bought at Naram.