Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hard core Rocketeer with questionable taste in food (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14515)

Closet Astronaut 11-23-2014 09:27 AM

Hard core Rocketeer with questionable taste in food

1 Attachment(s)
I was watching the show (Sunday Morning) today, it was all about food. They did a segment on Spam, In Hawaii spam is a delicacy you can even get it at Mc D's..go figure. So this spam eating rocketeer built a rocket from his empty spam cans.

SCE to AUX 11-23-2014 10:10 AM

Love it!

What size motor goes in that beast? You have a name for it yet?

stefanj 11-23-2014 10:27 AM

Watching the same show right now!

I'm trying to keep the weight off so I've been avoiding Spam (high salt AND fat in one handy loaf!) but I like the stuff a lot. I fry up thin slices on Sunday mornings a few times a year, and cube it up and stir it into Mac n Cheese. Someday I'll "splurge" and make a mess of Spam & Cheese sammiches.

To go along with the Spam rocket you'll need to make a Velveeta-box rocket.

dlazarus6660 11-23-2014 02:11 PM

Love 'em both. I toured the Spam factory about 12 years ago AND I have the pic's to prove it!
Got a couple of coffee mugs, a spam magnet, tee shirts and a pic of the bronze farmer with the pig out front!

Closet Astronaut 11-23-2014 03:20 PM

OK...So up to this point we have 3 out of 38 that are spam fans, unless others are too embarrassed to admit it. I tried it about 20 years ago, fried up in a pan for sandwiches and a few other recipes but it didn't matter. This was created for feeding soldiers in the field and being former military I have found that field rations were never meant to be eaten when, at least, better things are available. Besides.. hog snouts, chicken lips and MSG can't be good for you..

:p

bernomatic 11-23-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Astronaut
OK...So up to this point we have 3 out of 38 that are spam fans, unless others are too embarrassed to admit it. I tried it about 20 years ago, fried up in a pan for sandwiches and a few other recipes but it didn't matter. This was created for feeding soldiers in the field and being former military I have found that field rations were never meant to be eaten when, at least, better things are available. Besides.. hog snouts, chicken lips and MSG can't be good for you..

:p

But then let's look at the delicacies that are good for you????

Rocky Mountain Oysters
Monkey Brains
Tuna Eyeballs
Balut

Ymmmmmmm

And that's ignoring some of the more creative dishes.

Taste is such a personal thing and influenced by so many different things.
Imagine a group of common people, each given the makings for doughnuts, say. They have the ingredients, but not how much of each or go further, no instructions. Out of ten, how many would be able to make a delicious doughnut?

Not having had to eat field rations, but being exposed to them in a big way, I have found that by themselves they are digestible, some even OK. Add a few things or mix em up and you could get something more palatable than bull's balls. IMHO

ghrocketman 11-23-2014 06:29 PM

SPAM is disgusting.

I will stick to REAL food, thanks.

tmacklin 11-23-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
SPAM is disgusting.

I will stick to REAL food, thanks.

The only thing that could make Spam worse would be if you marinated it in Jenkem. :eek:

ghrocketman 11-23-2014 09:23 PM

Agreed.
SPAM marinated in Jenkem would be worse.
Marinating it in Kodiak Spittor juice would be worse as well.

Funny story regarding Kodiak Spittor juice-

About 3 years ago my father and I were working on a project on his workbench in the pole-barn at his house.
On the FAR left side of the workbench (about a 12' bench) my father had a 3/4 full ice-cold bottle of DIET Pepsi with a silver label.
On the FAR RIGHT side of the workbench I had a REGULAR Pepsi BLUE-label bottle that I was using for a Kodiak Spittor. This bottle was about 1/4 full of WARM Kodiak Spit.

Naturally my father took a BIG SWIG of my spittor full of Kodiak grains and warm tobacco spit.

He then proceeded to blow that stuff all over the shop, then he shook up his Diet Pepsi and blasted me with that.
Funniest thing I have ever seen when he realized what he took a swig of.

mycrofte 11-24-2014 04:28 AM

While I "like" SPAM, my wife loves it. We have grilled cheese & SPAM sandwiches about every other week.