Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Metallic Spray Paint (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10913)

Ironnerd 03-27-2012 02:42 PM

Metallic Spray Paint

I've been flying my VF-261 naked for... a really long time now. I wanted a really cool paint job on it, and have needed to rebuild my skills.

I saw some nice, shiny chrome paint at Hobby-X and was wondering if anyone had tried it out on a rocket yet and if there are any tricks I should keep in mind when using it.

Thanks!

foamy 03-27-2012 03:17 PM

Depends on the brand as to how it will look. Some are more "chrome-like" than others and it's a pretty wide range. My limited experience with them is that they are thinner than other paints. Light coats will get you there. Don't spray it like you do other paints or it will run in a heart-beat. It took two or three times and as many wipe-downs before I figured that out. And for some reason they stink like no other paint I've tried. Oh, they like to be sprayed over black. It really does help a lot.

I just bought a can of Rustoleum Metallic with the chrome cap. I'm hopeful it will be the brightest I've had based on what I've seen elsewhere. The three varieties I've tried have been pretty gray—despite what the can said.

Some here with more experience will doubtless give you better, more useful info on this. I'll be reading their suggestions as well.

chrism 03-27-2012 03:29 PM

One of the most painstaking things about spraying any metallic be it rattle can or airbrush is the surface has to be blemish free or any imperfection will show through. It takes a lot of prep work of the surface and very much sanding to provide a smooth finish. Foamy is correct, use a black basecote as a primer.

jetlag 03-27-2012 03:38 PM

Also, to add, once all is dry, be careful handling the finish; it tends to show fingerprints well!
A silver enamel or lacquer paint almost always will show blemishes. When your spray is dry, and you're happy with it, simply coat it with Pledge (old Future floor finish). DO NOT use a krylon or similar clear coat, as it will darken (tarnish?) the entire paint job.

An exception to the above is the Alclad brand of paints. These are made to be airbrushed and are much more tolerant to the above warnings, assuming they are applied according to normal directions.

One more thing: Don't try to spray or apply a different color OVER the silver, as it will peel or chip off easily. This is a great feature if you want to 'weather' a model (chips of paint missing on removable panels, walkways, ****pit flooring, etc) though.

Hope this helps!
Allen

stefanj 03-27-2012 04:16 PM

I've kind of given up on shiny-chrome-silver finishes.

I instead go for a lustrous "scale brushed-steel" look.

jeffyjeep 03-27-2012 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The "chromiest" chrome paint I've ever used is called Spaztix chrome laquer. As the name implies it is indeed a lacquer and has to sprayed over black lacquer. It's thin, it's hard to use, BUT it's true chrome. And yes, the surface prep has to be absolutely smooth. I have an extra can of it that you can have, but I can't send it until I get home from India. The "V2 Vixen" wouldn't be able to locate it in my room of "priceless treasures" in 10 x 10 million years anyway.

Besides, she's too busy doing laundry, or dishes, or scrubbing floors, or---whatever it is women do when their man is stuck in India.

---I sure hope it's NOT shopping! :rolleyes: :D

A Fish Named Wallyum 03-27-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I've kind of given up on shiny-chrome-silver finishes.

I instead go for a lustrous "scale brushed-steel" look.

Oh, boy. I know the name of that tune. :eek:

jharding58 03-27-2012 10:22 PM

Real downside to shiny chrome finish? Try and clear coat it and keep that Chrome look.

Ironnerd 03-28-2012 06:28 AM

Hmmm... Brushed steel VF-261. That could be very cool, and would require less pounding of my head upon the work bench.

jharding58 03-28-2012 12:14 PM

Or you could go with Alclad...

http://alclad2.com/