Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Astron Constellation rebuild (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9835)

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-26-2011 09:01 PM

Estes Astron Constellation rebuild

This came with an Estes lot that I picked up on Ebay. Looks like it was started, but never completed and flown.

I spent the last few days cutting, gluing, and sanding the balsa. Quite a pain in the butt, but so far I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out.

Out of primer at the moment, but I should be back in the painting business tomorrow afternoon.

John Brohm 08-26-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
This came with an Estes lot that I picked up on Ebay. Looks like it was started, but never completed and flown.

... <big snip - Ouch!>

Out of primer at the moment, but I should be back in the painting business tomorrow afternoon.

Looks good Bill. Seems to be coming along nicely.

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-26-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Looks good Bill. Seems to be coming along nicely.

I printed off the decal today from Kurt's Decal Page. The first one came out MMX scale. :confused: I tweaked a few things and the second one came out looking great. :cool:

chrism 08-27-2011 01:04 AM

Bill,
it looks like the clear payload section has yellowed or is it just the way it looks in the picture?

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-27-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Bill,
it looks like the clear payload section has yellowed or is it just the way it looks in the picture?

That's "patina". :D Yeah, it's yellowed, but it's not scratched up. What clearcoat yellows the fastest? I want the whole bird to look like that. :cool:

gpoehlein 08-27-2011 01:14 PM

You could always put a drop or two of yellow acrylic paint into some Future and airbrush it. It would take some experimentation to come up with the exact amount, but it might be interesting! :D

Greg

chrism 08-27-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:
That's "patina". :D Yeah, it's yellowed, but it's not scratched up. What clearcoat yellows the fastest? I want the whole bird to look like that. :cool:

The payload section looks the the golden canopy of the F-22!

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-27-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
You could always put a drop or two of yellow acrylic paint into some Future and airbrush it. It would take some experimentation to come up with the exact amount, but it might be interesting! :D

Greg

No airbrush, and even less patience. :rolleyes: I'll just have to let nature take care of things.

dlazarus6660 08-27-2011 04:39 PM

Patina

Quote:

Patina, can I get some crackers with that? :p :chuckle:

foamy 08-28-2011 12:54 AM

Dang it. That's a good looking rocket. I want to build one.