Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The rocket that got away...Estes Mosquito (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4300)

barone 10-15-2009 10:49 PM

Great finish. Most people don't get rid of the demarcation line between the nose and body tube.

sam_midkiff 10-16-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I once launched a Mosquito on an old Centuri B4-5M full-B mini-motor.
It went nearly into orbit but was actually recovered. It was painted fluorescent orange and black and was easily spotted (eventually) against the snow-covered landing area.
Unless it landed over snow I don't think it would have been found.

The last mosquito I launched was while I was a grad student at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). I painted it a bright orange, launched it in a large field outside the football stadium, saw it come down and went to look for it. It was at that point that I noticed the large amount of orange trash on the field. UIUC's colors are orange and blue. It was never found despite spending 20 minutes or so looking for it. My future wife was with me at the time, and I think she was convinced by that launch that this was a pretty pointless hobby!

Sam

UPscaler 10-16-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Great finish. Most people don't get rid of the demarcation line between the nose and body tube.

Thanks! I didn't like it with the big gap, so i put some very light filler in it and sanded it smooth. I think I might retire it though, the last time I launched it, It took about half an hour to recover. :chuckle:

I live in boise...so if I could somehow access BSU's blue football field i think I could recover them nicely.

Shamous 10-20-2009 08:42 PM

Here are my 5 keys to finding a mosquito:

1) Only use a 1/4 A engine.

2) Launch with a large crowd. Someone is usually bound to see it.

3) If launching alone or with a small group, be very quiet (we're hunting wrabbits!) and listen for the sound of it landing. It will lead you right to it.

4) Always paint it in bright colors.

5) Make sure the grass is short.

Using these rules, I have launched about 100 mosquitos and only lost 1.

metlfreak 10-22-2009 11:48 PM

I have lost all of them.....mater of fact the last one I had was just a 13mm motor with the fins and nose glued on....just kiding, but man I never get them back.

UPscaler 10-26-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamous
Here are my 5 keys to finding a mosquito:

1) Only use a 1/4 A engine.

2) Launch with a large crowd. Someone is usually bound to see it.

3) If launching alone or with a small group, be very quiet (we're hunting wrabbits!) and listen for the sound of it landing. It will lead you right to it.

4) Always paint it in bright colors.

5) Make sure the grass is short.

Using these rules, I have launched about 100 mosquitos and only lost 1.

Wow, that's pretty good for mosquitos.

ghrocketman 10-27-2009 12:21 PM

I always thought mosquitos were supposed to be the original "fire-n'-forget" rockets anyways. They make quite the flight on original Centuri B4-5M 13mm engines !