Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hamburgers (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11344)

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-13-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Blatz
Might I suggest your ground beef of choice, mixed with between one and two slices of finely chopped high end (nitrate free) bacon.

Easy to do and quite tasty.

I make stuffed burgers with bacon and cheese. Haven't done them in a while, so I'll have to thing about that sometime soon. :cool:

mycrofte 07-13-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
This is going to be a large post from me. You have been warned.

Homemade Burger. 50% ground beef, 50% ground pork cook medium well over charcoals.
Seasoned with Canadian seasoning(I'll explain) topped with Sharp or Extra Sharp Vermont Chedder Cheese. Large(sandwitch size) Thomas English Muffin for a bun, a little Thousand Island dressing, lettuce, tomato, slice of onion, (white, yellow or Vidalia) and a cold brew, Mich Ultra for me, NO Bud!
Canadian seasoning- Montreal Steak seasoning.

Michelob Ultra! You may as well have a glass of water...

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-13-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
Michelob Ultra! You may as well have a glass of water...

Or a Zima. :chuckle:
( :D I started to say that Mich and Bud were like two ugly sisters, one missing three teeth and the other only missing two, but I stopped myself.)

Rocketcrab 07-13-2012 06:23 AM

I recently bought the grinder attachment for my wife's Kitchen-Aid mixer, and followed the BBQ Pit Boys advice and ground up a chuck roast to make burgers. Seasoned only withKosher salt and pepper before grilling. Best burgers I have ever made or eaten. :cool:

foamy 07-13-2012 07:44 AM

I've heard good things about In-N-Out, Whataburger etc., but have never laid eyes on one. A Five guys was just opened on Kent Island over the Winter, but I haven't had an opportunity to stop in. I guess the best burger joint burger around here is Hardee's (Carl Jr.). Anybody remember Jeno's? Their Cheese Sirloner?

Mich Ultra? Not a beer I'd buy, but if that's what's being offered, I'd gratefully drink it. I'm no beer snob. Sure, I enjoy good beers (anything Samuel Smith brews, Nut Brown Ale, Taddy Porter, etc.), but when asked what beer I like, my answer is always "free and cold."

Much like a beer, when offered a burger, free and hot does it for me. I don't care if it started life as a frozen hockey puck—I'll eat it. To be honest, before micro-waves, those Stewart light-bulb burgers (more than half soy, I'd wager), well, I thought they were great. For a quick snack I'll pop a vege burger in the nuker. Not a real burger, but decent in it's own right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
I recently bought the grinder attachment for my wife's Kitchen-Aid mixer, and followed the BBQ Pit Boys advice and ground up a chuck roast to make burgers. Seasoned only withKosher salt and pepper before grilling. Best burgers I have ever made or eaten. :cool:

That's what I've heard and am planning on doing. The girlie-girl has her Grandmother's old hand cranked meat grinder that I plan to employ. Did you hard-chill your beef before you ground it?

There's a school of thought that adding anything to fresh ground beef is akin to turning it into meat loaf. That even mixing salt and spices to the mix is altering it's chemical make-up (and truly, cooking is chemistry). The approach you took was exactly what I was planning for my first fresh ground batch. Your endorsement is encouraging.

ghrocketman 07-13-2012 10:01 AM

Yep. Know Worchestershire has onions and anchovies in the mix along with molasses, tamarinds, etc. The combination I like, but NEVER ever like raw or cooked onions by themselves on ANYTHING. Just plain nasty.

In-N-Out, Whattaburger, Fuddruckers, AND Fatburger are all very good and have had them all several times. We used to have Hardees, that in most of the country is now Carl's Jr. Hardees was good but not in the league of those previously listed.
Five Guys has decent burgers at a total ripoff price. A small double cheeseburger with a drink and a mountain of fries goes for around $10 at all the Five Guys in my area. TOTAL RIPOFF.

For a major chain, I like Checkers/Rally's above all other chains, but when they existed, Burger Chef was the best.
For a Michigan-only chain, Halo Burger beats all others. They consistently rate #1 in the state among all chains with more than 4 stores. A Halo Burger 1/2lb supreme on a giant bun topped with Cheese, Green Olives, and Lettuce/Tomato/Mayo or Mustard/Ketchup/Pickle is awesome.

Scott6060842 07-13-2012 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Burger Chef was awesome.

Doug Sams 07-13-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
Burger Chef was awesome.
Unless your name was Jeff :)

When they had their "Burger Chef and Jeff" ad campaign, circa 1975, if you lived in our neighborhood, and your name was Jeff, you'd never hear the end of it :)

The one Jeff I remember had great character - it never bothered him. Good on him.

Doug

samb 07-13-2012 11:08 AM

What about Mooyah ? One just opened near me. Where did they originate ?

Bob H 07-13-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Yep. Know Worchestershire has onions and anchovies in the mix along with molasses, tamarinds, etc. The combination I like, but NEVER ever like raw or cooked onions by themselves on ANYTHING. Just plain nasty.
But what Worcestershire sauce DOESN'T have is that "H" after the "C" in Worcester.