Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Vampire (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15214)

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-06-2015 05:04 PM

Estes Vampire

I just placed an order with Excelsior for a few decals I didn't see myself being able to handle with the inkjet. On of them was the Estes Vampire, on of the early RTF birds I remember seeing in the 1977 catalog. I had no Estes Jinx to start the project with, but I figured I'd eventually pick one up on Ebay. The decals arrived today, so I went out and set up a search notification for the Jinx. Must have been my day. Penn Valley had one for $10 as a buy it now. :cool:

Scott6060842 07-06-2015 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Vampire was the first model rocket I ever saw so I am kind of fond of it. Mine is also a Jinx in disguise.

Gordy made these up (the Vampire decals) per my request but I never got the scale right ...

(Note: The Banshee and the X-15 are original)

A Fish Named Wallyum 07-06-2015 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
The Vampire was the first model rocket I ever saw so I am kind of fond of it. Mine is also a Jinx in disguise.

Gordy made these up per my request but I never got the scale right ...

Cool! I was going to ask about the Banshee. Did that ever make another appearance in a different guise like the Vampire did with the Jinx? I didn't remember it, but I saw it on one of the earlier catalog pages that had these three as the "Estes Firing Line".

tbzep 07-06-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I just placed an order with Excelsior for a few decals I didn't see myself being able to handle with the inkjet. On of them was the Estes Vampire, on of the early RTF birds I remember seeing in the 1977 catalog. I had no Estes Jinx to start the project with, but I figured I'd eventually pick one up on Ebay. The decals arrived today, so I went out and set up a search notification for the Jinx. Must have been my day. Penn Valley had one for $10 as a buy it now. :cool:

The Vampire decals should be the easiest to handle yourself with a normal printer. The originals were opaque stick-ons so you can do them on white Avery label paper. That's the way I did mine. A true clear decal would look better, but doesn't match the way the original looked.

ghrocketman 07-06-2015 11:22 PM

I always thought the RTF Estes Vampire, Banshee, and X-15 were very cool looking.
Far more so than any of the current/recent RTF offerings.

dannymrmissile 07-06-2015 11:42 PM

Banshee

Quote:
Cool! I was going to ask about the Banshee. Did that ever make another appearance in a different guise like the Vampire did with the Jinx? I didn't remember it, but I saw it on one of the earlier catalog pages that had these three as the "Estes Firing Line".

Late last Yr., I sold my Vampire Outfit. MIB,,, miss it now...........
Once, I had All 3 sets.

dannymrmissile 07-06-2015 11:45 PM

yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The Vampire decals should be the easiest to handle yourself with a normal printer. The originals were opaque stick-ons so you can do them on white Avery label paper. That's the way I did mine. A true clear decal would look better, but doesn't match the way the original looked.

its GOTTA look Original! .......................

Joe Shockcord 07-07-2015 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I'm presently building an upscale clone of the Banshee. I chose BT-55 so I could use 18mm motors and the PNC-55AC is a close match to the original cone's profile. I'll be carving the strakes next. The decals were easy enough in Photoshop.

mojo1986 07-07-2015 06:06 AM

The Banshee looks a lot like the Goblin to me...........

Or is it the Red Max??

Scott6060842 07-07-2015 07:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Cool! I was going to ask about the Banshee. Did that ever make another appearance in a different guise like the Vampire did with the Jinx?

Not that I know of.

looks a lot like the Goblin to me...........

Yes, the Vampire look like a small Goblin (Goblin attached).