Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Aerobee-Hi, JATO Booster (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10977)

rosko_racer 04-08-2012 09:11 PM

Aerobee-Hi, JATO Booster

5 Attachment(s)
Got a Quest MMI Aerobee-Hi at our club's 2011-2012 xmas party. It was built and only needed primer and paint. And while looking at pictures for color references I found out about the JATO booster rocket. The Aerobee looks much too cool with one of them, so I decided to scratch build one. The rocket and booster are not to scale but it is a nice addition and rendition. The booster build is for display only: I though about making it as a first stage but the motor for the A-H sticks about .6" past the BT... do not know if this what the instructions called for or was it a builder's mistake. Anyone with a copy of the original instructions can comment on that.

I am including a rocsim file that is very close to what I put together.

BTW, the blue tape is keeping the thrust structure in place until the glue cures completely.

More details as I finish it... Enjoy.

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-08-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko_racer
Got a Quest MMI Aerobee-Hi at our club's 2011-2012 xmas party. It was built and only needed primer and paint. And while looking at pictures for color references I found out about the JATO booster rocket. The Aerobee looks much too cool with one of them, so I decided to scratch build one. The rocket and booster are not to scale but it is a nice addition and rendition. The booster build is for display only: I though about making it as a first stage but the motor for the A-H sticks about .6" past the BT... do not know if this what the instructions called for or was it a builder's mistake. Anyone with a copy of the original instructions can comment on that.

I am including a rocsim file that is very close to what I put together.

BTW, the blue tape is keeping the thrust structure in place until the glue cures completely.

More details as I finish it... Enjoy.

Where is the real one from? :cool:

sandman 04-08-2012 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Where is the real one from? :cool:

That looks like Wallops Island. Bring mosquito repellent!

The nozzles on the booster really mess you up trying to make it operational.

BT-56 to a BT-60 is pretty close but you only have room for an A10-0 in the booster 'cause of the nozzle.

Now a 3" sustainer to a BT-80...That works great! You have room for a 29mm motor in the booster.

rosko_racer 04-10-2012 12:06 AM

Quick Update...

3 Attachment(s)
The glue holding the thrust structure is cured and strong enough to hold them in place. Some white primer on it. Got to paint two of the fins with Krylon Black "New Formula". Will be painting the rest with Krylon White "Old Formula"... lets see how that comes out. Heard that one cannot spray "New" over "Old" so I will doing the opposite. Will mask the black fins and paint the rest with the Old formula... should not have any trouble.

Gordy: I thought about making another one that could take an A10-0T. The NC would have a hole thru it, like a boat tail, to direct the hot gases into the upper stage motor. No engine nozzle for the booster.

BTW the drawings look great! Looks like you have done one before.

rokitflite 04-10-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko_racer
Will be painting the rest with Krylon White "Old Formula"... lets see how that comes out. Heard that one cannot spray "New" over "Old" so I will doing the opposite. Will mask the black fins and paint the rest with the Old formula... should not have any trouble.

NO!!! I believe NEW can go over OLD, NOT the other way around! The old is a hotter paint.

pantherjon 04-10-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
NO!!! I believe NEW can go over OLD, NOT the other way around! The old is a hotter paint.

Scott is correct..New can go over OLD but OLD shouldn't go over NEW unless you want a FUGLY finish...

tbzep 04-10-2012 07:21 AM

My son and I worked up his scratch built Aerobee Hi for gap staging a few years ago. Here is the flight sequence. Aerobee Gap Staged

rosko_racer 04-11-2012 11:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Another quick update:

Got away with masking and painting using the Old and New Krylon formulas. Only one area where some paint bled thru a little... just that a little sanding and paint touch-up to fix it. Decided to make a stand based it on the one the original kit came with but with an angle. PDF file of the stand is attached in case you want to build one.

foamy 04-12-2012 07:42 AM

Looks great. What 'cha gonna do with the cradle? Are you going to paint it as well?

rosko_racer 04-12-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
Looks great. What 'cha gonna do with the cradle? Are you going to paint it as well?

Yeap! White... drying as we speak...