Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Centuri cloning (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=53)

Bob H 03-28-2005 07:51 PM

Nobody has any interest in the SST Shuttle?

It was Centuri's answer to Estes Orbital Transporter. The hardest part of cloning one is making the ramjet nose and tail cones. You can buy them from Moldin' Oldies but I thought I would try to make my own.

I'm still thinking about them. :rolleyes:

The rest of the rocket is done except for them.

dtomko 03-28-2005 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H

It was Centuri's answer to Estes Orbital Transporter. The hardest part of cloning one is making the ramjet nose and tail cones. You can buy them from Moldin' Oldies but I thought I would try to make my own.

That's a beauty. I like the look with the balsa cones. I have thought about the parts set from Moldin' Oldies for this one, too, but my to build list is still too long now. It would be nice to have a drag race with the OT.

Tau Zero 03-29-2005 12:08 AM

Temporal Machinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I'll let you know when I'm finished building my time machine. ;) I'm going to go back and buy up a few cases of Centuri 1/45th LJ II's. :D
Dude, you've *got* to let me borrow your "Wayback Machine!" (I plan on cleaning out my local hobby shops of original Centuri supplies... *after* I lost interest in the hobby, of course, so I don't accidentally disrupt the entire Time-Space Continuum...

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero 03-29-2005 12:15 AM

Quote:
The hardest part of cloning one is making the ramjet nose and tail cones. [snip] You can buy them from Moldin' Oldies but I thought I would try to make my own.
I had an original SST Shuttle "back in the day," and while I managed to buy the original Centuri plastic nose and tail cones (yes, all of them) from Mike Hellmund a few years back, I hate to admit that Mike Jerauld of "Blast From The Past Rocketry" has been hanging onto them during his house remodel/Cub Scout leader/NSL 2005 "enduro" session. :(

Just haven't made the full circle yet.

Cheers,

--Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"

Ltvscout 03-29-2005 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Dude, you've *got* to let me borrow your "Wayback Machine!" (I plan on cleaning out my local hobby shops of original Centuri supplies... *after* I lost interest in the hobby, of course, so I don't accidentally disrupt the entire Time-Space Continuum...

Hehe. Ya, it would be nice... I don't know about you guys, but I still have dreams of walking into a new (old) hobby shop I've discovered in some hick town and finding the mother lode. Then the alarm goes off and ends that fantasy. :(

Ltvscout 03-29-2005 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
I had an original SST Shuttle "back in the day," and while I managed to buy the original Centuri plastic nose and tail cones (yes, all of them) from Mike Hellmund a few years back

Hey, that's something I didn't know he had, darn. I bought up all kinds of funky plastic parts from him along with a couple of cases of D11-9's.

Up till around 1998 I was still able to get plastic parts sets for the Estes Sandhawk and #2001 Sat V along with the wraps from Christine at Estes.

Eagle3 03-29-2005 08:09 AM

Quote:
Hehe. Ya, it would be nice... I don't know about you guys, but I still have dreams of walking into a new (old) hobby shop I've discovered in some hick town and finding the mother lode. Then the alarm goes off and ends that fantasy. :(

I've had that dream come true once and it only makes you wish for it again even more. :)

Ltvscout 03-29-2005 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I've had that dream come true once and it only makes you wish for it again even more. :)

Don't leave us hanging, tell us about it!!!

Eagle3 03-29-2005 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Sweet Bob! If you have a drill press and some patience you could probably turn some nice ramjet cones.

Here's a pic of my original SST Shuttle flown once. The glider is a brick. It has the glide slope of a set of car keys, but still cool as hell to fly. :D

Eagle3 03-29-2005 08:32 AM

Quote:
Don't leave us hanging, tell us about it!!!

LOL - It had to be back around 1989 or so. I friend at work mentioned a local hobby shop near his house that had a lot of "old" rocket stuff the owner was wanting to get rid of. He was friends with the owner and told him I was a model rocket geek. The owner told him to bring me by and he'd cut me a deal. We walked in and there was one shelf unit full of rocket stuff and my hands got sweaty. Some R2D2s, Starship Vegas, Mars Snooper II's,... Then the owner said, "No, the old stuff is back here.." He had a ton of old Centuri kits in two boxes in the back room. I bought them all plus all the good stuff out on the floor for 50% off the marked price. Many of the prices were from the 70's. It was amazing this place had been overlooked by Rich Junglas. At the time he was running postal model rocket auctions and had cleaned out many a hobby shop in SE Michigan of their old kits. Back then if you wanted something OOP you went to Rich.

That's my "dream come true" story. Now, everytime I see an old hobby shop I go in hoping it's another "Stoner's Hobbies". So far it hasn't happened again.