Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   sunward screamer (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=5931)

cjp 09-28-2009 02:51 PM

sunward screamer

Hi Everyone,I'm new to this fourm.Just got back into model rockets after 38years.That's when I was in high school.But joined a local club 6 weeks ago and have built 5 rockets,the last being the Estes Big Daddy.We got rained out this past weekend(North East Ohio Weather),so I'll have to wait till Oct.10 when we get the flying feild again.I'm going to build a Sunward Screamer cluster next.That should be fun.Anyone build one of these?I'm thinking of putting a streamer on it instead of the parachute that comes with it.I'm also going to install a baffle kit.Any thoughts on how large of a streamer I should use?The rocket is 21" tall and about 2oz. without the 2 engines.I'm thinking maybe a 3x30 inch nylon streamer.Any imput would be welcomed.

bob jablonski 09-29-2009 08:35 AM

Hi. Welcome to the fun world of rockets. With the Screamer I would keep the parachute. With the 2 oz you have to figure in the 2 empty motor cases and if you add a Baffle (more wt.).
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
www.starlightrocketry.com

cjp 09-29-2009 07:41 PM

screamer rocket kit

I checked their website and found that the rocket is 3.75oz.Your right about keeping the chute.We fly on a 140 acre farm,but there are trees and powerlines near by. That"s why I use streamers on my smaller rockets.I might go a size down in parachute.I made my own chutes Sunday,a few 16" and a 24".Hope to start building the rocket this weekend.First time with a cluster and a canted one at that.Also never had to cut the bodytube before.But I'll take my time with this one.Thanks for your insite.

STRMan 09-29-2009 08:04 PM

Keep the stock chute but make an over sized spill hole in it.

Sunward 09-29-2009 10:11 PM

Welcome back to rocketry. Nice kit :)

As noted, it does get a little heavy with all the parts. I have never tried with a streamer. I would agree with STRMan and cut a spill hole if you want it to come down a little quicker.

As for cutting the tubes, etc, take your time.

cjp 09-30-2009 02:53 AM

Sunward Screamer

As far as the spillhole,how large(quarter size?) and would I need to reinforce it to keep from gettinig tears?Best location for it ,the middle of the chute?I seen were tears are placed around the parachute.When it comes to cutting the bodytube,I have a set of x-acto knives,what would be the best way of preventing the tube from bending when I cut it?Would a dowl rod help?Sorry for all the questions,but I want to get this right.

barone 09-30-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp
snip...........When it comes to cutting the bodytube,I have a set of x-acto knives,what would be the best way of preventing the tube from bending when I cut it?Would a dowl rod help?Sorry for all the questions,but I want to get this right.

First, never apologize for asking a lot of questions. We love them because it gives us a chance to show how smart we are....lol..... :chuckle:

Secondly, for cutting body tubes. I'm not sure which size tube you're cutting, but if you're using an X-acto knife, the best thing to do is to glue an expended motor matching the size of the tube to a dowel and insert that into the body tube to the point you are cutting to help keep the tube round. And, take your time. Just score around the tube a little, making several passes until you've cut through. It also helps to wrap some masking tape around the tube where you are cutting to keep you from straying off your mark. Personally, I use a hobby miter box and saw for cutting tubes.

Sunward 09-30-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp
As far as the spillhole,how large(quarter size?) ......

In the center. I just pull the center while holding the shroud lines. Cut off the end with scissors.

Barone tips are good. I would only add to take your time and use a sharp blade. Always cutting away from you.

Barone, the cutting is the slot for the engine tubes as they stick out a bit.

cjp 09-30-2009 03:32 PM

sunward screamer

The bodytube is 42mm(1.673"),I do have some spent 18mm engines,I'll fit a dowl rod inside for the cutting of the tube.As far the hole in the parachute,when cut will the chute tear,or be ok without some reinforcement?I'll take extra time(bodytube cutting)with this step as well as the engine mount.The rest builds up as any other rocket.The Baffle kit is my first,I seen were you should put this in as high up in the bodytube as you can,leaving enough room for your parachute. I like to put airfoils on my fins,but with this style,I might do the top and cover with paper for added strength.This has worked well with some of my other kits.Should be fun this weekend when I start.Thanks again for the great support and tips.I'll keep you posted on my progress.

cjp 10-03-2009 11:18 PM

sunward screamer

Progress has gone well,the instructions are not very clear on how far the engine mount goes into the bodytube.I'm not sure if the lower centering ring is supposed to be flush with the end of the bodytube,or does it go in farther.Again no diagrams or final drawings on how it should look.Angelo I found the second engine thrust ring,it was stuck inside the engine tube.Anyone ever build this and could post some pictures on how the bottom looks?The tube cutting went very well,the hardest part was building the engine mount.This is my first level 3 rocket as well as my first cluster rocket.One other question,does the launch lug go in the middle of two fins?It just says glue the launch lug next to any fin.Sorry if this sounds silly,but the instructions are not very clear to me.This is a nice kit with quality parts and I am very pleased with it but mybe it's just me not understanding the instructions very well.No slam on Sunward at all.Will buy other Sunward rockets and surly recommend them to others.