Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Science programming on cable TV channels (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10332)

stefanj 12-05-2011 06:13 PM

Science programming on cable TV channels

This is really brilliant:

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/arc...hp?comicid=1452

RandyT0001 12-05-2011 09:37 PM

The only thing Green about the Green Channel by the Discovery Network is the word "Green" in its title.

mycrofte 12-06-2011 05:11 AM

About all I watch is the History Channel. And that is mainly for the WWII in HD stuff. I also watch the Ancient Aliens and Myth Busters.

I lost hope on Modern Marvels when they started doing things like underwear. Not my idea of a modern marvel...

The Weather Channel has gotten in on the reality TV bandwagon too. I call their shows; "Let's Watch Stupid People Die!".
_____

luke strawwalker 12-06-2011 11:47 PM

The History Channel one is incorrect...

"Show about Adolf Hitler/Third Reich/WWII" should be about 87%...

My wife calls it "The Hitler Channel" but she puts up with it because I'm sort of a history buff...

Later! OL JR :)

PS... "and now we return you to "Thanksgiving in the Third Reich", here on the History channel"... (fave quote from "Klyde Morris" cartoons by Wes O., founder/proprietor of Dr. Zooch Rockets) :chuckle:

mycrofte 12-07-2011 04:35 AM

If they aren't showing Third Reich, it's gangsters.
_____

A Fish Named Wallyum 12-07-2011 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
_____

Gangsters, or GANGSTAS? :rolleyes:

gpoehlein 12-07-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
_____

That sounds more like National Geographic. And Military Channel seems more like the "all WWII" channel. History seems to be focussing on transport (IRT, etc.) and junk (Pawn Stars, Pickers and Am Restoration).

Y'know, for ALL of these channels, I wish themed just settle into schedule and STICK TO IT! All these marathons are driving me crazy - no predictability at all. :mad: And these guys seem to take any excuse they can to run a marathon ("it's Saint Swithens day... Time to run a 'Deadliest Catch' all day marathon"! :p

luke strawwalker 12-07-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
That sounds more like National Geographic. And Military Channel seems more like the "all WWII" channel. History seems to be focussing on transport (IRT, etc.) and junk (Pawn Stars, Pickers and Am Restoration).

Y'know, for ALL of these channels, I wish themed just settle into schedule and STICK TO IT! All these marathons are driving me crazy - no predictability at all. :mad: And these guys seem to take any excuse they can to run a marathon ("it's Saint Swithens day... Time to run a 'Deadliest Catch' all day marathon"! :p

I can't wait for the "Hitler's baby pictures revealed" and "Hitler's 100th family reunion" marathon on Weasel Stomping Day on The History Channel...

Crap?? Sir, Pawn Stars is not crap. (I'll agree with you on American Pickers). Chumlee is my hero!!! Chumlee for President! (Hey, can't be any worse than what we got now!!) My six year old daughter has really gotten into "American Restoration". A couple years ago she wanted to do a painting on her own and take it into the Pawn Shop and sell it... I told her "They won't buy it-- they want famous artists", she said, "well, I'll tell them it's by someone famous!" (Crafty kid! LOL:))

Personally I like "World's Dumbest" and "Operation Repo" on TRU-TV... always good for a laugh... Keira like "Lizard Lick Towing" (which is okay I guess).

hahahaha... people suck! LOL:) OL JR :)

Doug Sams 12-07-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Crap?? Sir, Pawn Stars is not crap. (I'll agree with you on American Pickers). Chumlee is my hero!!! Chumlee for President! (Hey, can't be any worse than what we got now!!)
I like both American Pickers and Pawn Stars. I like seeing capitalism and entrepreneurialism depicted in a positive light :)

Seriously, if we're ever gonna get our economy going again, I think entrepreneurialism is gonna be a key element. We need to get away from the notion of being "employees" and start thinking about being entrepreneurs. That's what Mike and Frank and Rick are. And I'm pretty sure they're making decent money doing it :)

Doug

mycrofte 12-07-2011 11:50 AM

Unfortunately, that wont support the economy. And, there are people like me, who have tried (repeatedly) and can never get my own business off the ground. Just not in my skill set, I suppose.

Which is why most of my carrier has centered around factories. Bad part of that is that a lot of them are in China now. While I am a good swimmer, that is a bit far...