Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   AeroTech Information Release 2/26/09 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4769)

Garoq 02-26-2009 10:25 AM

AeroTech Information Release 2/26/09

AeroTech Information Release

2/26/09

AeroTech Spring '09 "Level 1-2-3" Certification Promotion

AeroTech is once again offering a special promotion to its NAR and Tripoli Level 1, 2 & 3 certification customers, available only through participating high-power RMS™ dealers.

The Level 1-2-3 promotion begins March 1, 2009 and includes the H123W-M reload kit for $12.50 (50% off MSRP), the J350W-M reload kit for $27.50 (50% off MSRP) and the M1297W-P reload for $210.00 (25% off MSRP). This offer is exclusively for individuals seeking Level 1, 2 or 3 certification, and customers must present their NAR or Tripoli certification paperwork to the participating dealer prior to purchase. The Level 1-2-3 promotion reload kits will be clearly marked "for certification flights only".

The promotion ends on April 1, 2009. After that date, dealers who have any remaining inventory of Level 1-2-3 reloads may continue to sell them until their stock runs out. However, depending on the success of the program, AeroTech may choose to extend the length of the offer.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace is a division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc., Cedar City, UT.

ghrocketman 02-26-2009 10:46 AM

Gary,
Is the L1 actually for a H123W-M or an H128W-M reload ?

Garoq 02-26-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Gary,
Is the L1 actually for a H123W-M or an H128W-M reload ?

It's actually the 38mm H123W-M. Tim at Wildman suggested the change to the program and we agreed.

Bob Kaplow 02-27-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garoq
It's actually the 38mm H123W-M. Tim at Wildman suggested the change to the program and we agreed.

For many years I've said that if you need a -M instead of a -S for your cert rockets (especially for L1) you've got the wrong rocket. I'm a strong believer in the low and slow concept for cert flights.

But now that it's acceptable to alter delays, it's easy enough to cut a -M down to a -S, but impossible to modify a -S to a -M, so it's perfectly reasonable to just offer -M delays for this.

Gary, thanks for continuing to offer these cert incentives. I wish they were around when I did my cert flights :)

Royatl 02-27-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
For many years I've said that if you need a -M instead of a -S for your cert rockets (especially for L1) you've got the wrong rocket. I'm a strong believer in the low and slow concept for cert flights.

But now that it's acceptable to alter delays, it's easy enough to cut a -M down to a -S, but impossible to modify a -S to a -M, so it's perfectly reasonable to just offer -M delays for this.

Gary, thanks for continuing to offer these cert incentives. I wish they were around when I did my cert flights :)

I was thinking that as well, but the economic incentive of only having to have a single set of 38mm casings vs getting a 29mm set for level 1 then a 38mm set for level 2 probably would encourage more people to go past L1.

Plus, most of the standard L1 cert rockets (even LOC IV) have 38mm mounts, so you trade off the complexity of having to use a motor mount adapter for the complexity of having to cut down a delay.

(my confirmation flight was a NCR Phantom 4000 on an H128)

WillMarchant 02-27-2009 04:51 PM

But the H128 is so cool because you can fly it without a waiver. And now that you don't need to do notification you have 3 pounds to play with instead of the old 1 pound.

Anyway, thanks very much, Gary, for continuing to "sponsor" certification flights with these specials!

Bob Kaplow 02-27-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMarchant
But the H128 is so cool because you can fly it without a waiver. And now that you don't need to do notification you have 3 pounds to play with instead of the old 1 pound.

The H123 is under 125g propellant, and thus possible to fly without a waiver.

WillMarchant 02-27-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:
The H123 is under 125g propellant, and thus possible to fly without a waiver.

http://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=128 (I can't get to the Aerotech site, for some reason) says that the H123 has 129g (4.55oz) of propellant. Maybe that is old data?

Bob Kaplow 02-27-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMarchant
http://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=128 (I can't get to the Aerotech site, for some reason) says that the H123 has 129g (4.55oz) of propellant. Maybe that is old data?

No, it's just that TRA historically has a stupid way of defining propellant weight. They take the difference in weight between the loaded motor and the fired motor, and use that number. But that included propellant, delay, ejection, liner, nozzle erosion, and who knows what else.

It's really silly for reloads, where you can actually weigh the slugs before assembling toe motor. All the propellant grains for the 38mm motors are 62.5g or less. Since the H123 is a 2 grain motor, it's at most 125g.

I got my number off the latest NAR combined list.

WillMarchant 02-27-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:
No, it's just that TRA historically has a stupid way of defining propellant weight. They take the difference in weight between the loaded motor and the fired motor, and use that number. But that included propellant, delay, ejection, liner, nozzle erosion, and who knows what else.

It's really silly for reloads, where you can actually weigh the slugs before assembling toe motor. All the propellant grains for the 38mm motors are 62.5g or less. Since the H123 is a 2 grain motor, it's at most 125g.

I got my number off the latest NAR combined list.

I was able to get the H123W data sheet through the value rockets page and they list 121.8g so it fits under the current waiver restrictions. Thanks for the correction, Bob!